Antabuse and Sugar Alcohols

SweetTNBelle
on 5/8/09 6:25 am - Hermitage, TN
I had wls in 2005, and am doing my counseling internship at an A&D clinic in town.  I have a question about Antabuse...does it have a negative reaction w/sugar alcohols? I know it has a bad reaction when people drink and they get violently ill but how does sugar alcohols react with it? Just trying to find some answers on it and there's little info out there. Thanks.

Patricia R.
on 5/8/09 9:37 pm - Perry, MI
That sounds like more of a question a doctor would be able to answer.  I have never used Antabuse, I go to AA and IOP at a rehab.  Have you talked to a psychiatrist about this question?
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

SweetTNBelle
on 5/14/09 1:18 am - Hermitage, TN
I've talked to a several nurses and done research online, I haven't yet talked to a doctor.  That may be the next step.  My goal when I get my masters is to counsel weight loss surgery pateints and just weight loss people in general.  I'm just finding with the wieght loss surgery comes a lot of transfer addcitions and this was a question I had.  Not sure if I said all this before...sorry if I did.  Thanks.

Patricia R.
on 5/14/09 11:34 am - Perry, MI
I had the good fortune to already know I had multiple addictions prior to my surgery.  I started my recovery in therapy for my binge eating disorder, and within two months was participating in AA.  After I got sober, I gained more weight. 

It is a shame that more surgeons do not educate their patients about the psychological issues that are involved in obesity, and weight gain.  I have a Masters in Social Work and have done extensive research on eating disorders and addictions.  I believe that WLS patients should be in therapy for their mental health issues before, during and after their surgery. 

Good luck.  I guess my suggestion about the sugar alcohols and antabuse struck me as a chemical/medical issue more than a mental health issue.  Hence my suggestion to speak with a doctor.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 5/9/09 7:42 am - Spicewood, TX
I tried Antabuse and it did not work for me - I was able to drink on it w/o any problem - the only thing that would happen is I would get a rash similar to sunburn. I did NOT get violently ill. My new doctor told me it is due to aborption reasons. I know there is a new drug out - not sure of the name of it - that might work better for a wls person.
I am giving up on the drugs and going into a 28 day program on Friday.
Anne
gizmo103
on 5/13/09 1:12 pm
I was first started on it in a 28 day program and I was very excited, I guess thinking it was my miracle cure, unfortunatly I found out I also could drink on it.  Although, it is a tool that can be used to assist with our recovery, just like meetings, etc....

I wish you luck, I remember having the same feelings, it's a great beginning.

Melanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views