Eating Disorder after RNY...

winniepooh2
on 5/6/09 2:19 pm - Trail, Canada
I had it confirmed to me today that I have an eating disorder going on.  I don't know where to look or what to do.  All I know is how disconected I am feeling and how much a failure I feel for not making my one year post-op goal that i set at the time of my revision last year.  I missed the goal by 6.6 lbs. 

I am so mad at myself for so many reasons today, but most of all failing my surgery.

---

Winniepooh2
May 5,2008
368/271.6/160
sjbob
on 5/6/09 3:27 pm - Willingboro, NJ
I was curious as to what eating disorder you have.  First of all, if you are shy of your goal by a few pounds, allow yourself a little more time.  Your anger at yourself won't help you.  I really suspect you may just be having a bad day or a few bad days.

I can only speak from my own experiences.  When I feel depressed (clinically--not just sad), I see everything in a negative light.  I don't see anything good about myself.  I quickly feel hopeless even though I may have been ok a few days prior to that.  Part of my problem is that I slowly slip into depression without noticing it.  Once I do relize it, I panic.  I usually just call my wife.  She tells me that she's not a mental health professional and advises me to call my shrink.  Usually I feel better after my call to her.

This may be your cry for help.  Since you have no profile and no prior posts, I can;t even guess what your problems are.  You will have a difficult time getting help if you don't tell someone what is wrong with you.  If you don't know the term for your condition, at least describe your characteristics.  Being mad at yourself can be because of depression, guilt, or even shame.  Just why are you having your feelings.  Also, getting a book dealing with cognitive therapy may help you.  I suggest that you get the workbook form of  Beck's Diet Solution since it can help you with both your diet and the thinking that goes along with your attitudes towards food and diet.
Patricia R.
on 5/9/09 3:44 am - Perry, MI
I have been dealing with Binge Eating Disorder for almost twenty years, and have done psychotherapy and two outpatient treatment facilities as well.  I found a lot of help at Overeaters Anonymous in the beginning.  They taught me a lot of self-soothing and how to find emotional support.  Being alcoholic, I tend to just attend AA to stay sober.

If you have not accessed psychotherapy, I suggest you do so, as that is a good place to start learning coping skills as well as the underlying issues that led to the eating disorder.  As for not making goal, I am 50 pounds from goal, and have been since I relapsed with alcohol in December 2008. 

One Day at a Time.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

steambacker
on 5/10/09 7:13 am - Hull, MA
I too have been diagnosed with an eating disorder.  I was actually diagnosed on Friday by my surgeon.  What I have is simular to Anorexia.  I am restricting what I eat so much that I have lost too much and am getting health problems and mental issues because of it.  I made an appointment to see my nutritionist, whome I also saw on Friday and am starting to attend the group sessions again.  I am so afraid of gaining weight an eating too much!  It's so hard.     
RNY surgery 05/23/07  Starting weight:  310
Right before operation: 279  Current weight:  117 Goal:  150
Patricia R.
on 5/12/09 12:33 pm - Perry, MI
Are you in therapy?  I suggest you consider it to discuss the underlying issues contributing to your eating behaviors.  I was in eating disorder treatment with a woman *****stricted after she lost weight from gastric bypass.  She has been battling it for years.
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views