30 day programs - How do you take missing your family?

Lalocaweta
on 5/6/09 2:55 am - Spicewood, TX
I am probably going to go into a 30 day program next week - I have relapsed  due to memories of a sexual abuse when I was an adolescent resurfacing and this is not the 1st time - I normally just do a 3 day detox and go home - and that clearly is not enough.
I know I need to go, but not sure how I can deal w/ being away from my husband, my children, and my 4 legged children that long.
If anyone here has done it - tell me the secrets - besides keeping in mind that I am going to come home a better wife and mother.
Patricia R.
on 5/6/09 6:52 am - Perry, MI
I have not done any inpatient treatment for my alcoholism.  I am currently in an Intensive Outpatient Program.  Have you explored that as an option?  My program started out as three nights a week for two and a half hours each night for 15 sessions, and now it is one night a week for two and a half hours.  It should be about 10-15 sessions.  

I don't know how bad your relapse was, but you may wish to explore it as a possibility.  Either way, you are going to benefit your entire family by getting clean and sober.  You have my prayers.  Feel free to PM me if you like.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 5/6/09 8:51 am - Spicewood, TX
My relapse was really bad - drank a fifth of vodka every day for 10 days.
I can't do out-patient - I know myself too well. Actually the place I am going to go to next week has a facility about 5 miles from our house that they wanted to put me at - I told them I would end up walking home.
I need to be "locked up" as I am a great liar and will convince someone in my family to take me to town, etc.
I am going to be fine - 30 days is nothing in terms of the benefit it will bring to my life and the fact it will allow me to be a better wife, mother (to both my real children and the pets), friend, etc.
I will miss them, but I have to do it.
Thank you for your concern.
Kathy
on 5/7/09 1:00 am - Hamilton, NJ
I didn't do the 30 day stint, but I did do the 5 day stay.  I missed my family very much but I knew that I had to do this for me and me alone.  They could not help me.  I never thought of the Intensive Outpatient thing because I went right from detoxing in the hospital to a clinic, by ambulance.  I can tell you that my cats were mighty pissed at me.  Hubby and I had a few rough patches, kids were quizzitive, but all in all, we survived and so will you.  Get the treatment you need.  Do not worry about anything else but yourself.  Everything will be there when you are finished.  Proud tos ay I am 11 months sober and very very happy.  I got my life back and I am enjoying every minute of it.  I am always available if you need to talk.  Good luck to you.  Kathy
sweeney1
on 5/7/09 3:19 am
I wish you well on your treatment.  You must have a supportive husband.  Learn to lean on him, he might suprise you.
Lalocaweta
on 5/7/09 4:41 am - Spicewood, TX
I am going - I realized that if I want to be the best wife and mother that I can be (my children are grown - but they still need a "Mom") that I have to do it. My 4 legged baby will be a complete idiot, but my welfare/health is more important.
I have done 3 different 5 day  programs - and they worked for about 6 to 9 months and then quit working. I need to do the hard program and figure out my stuff.
Patricia R.
on 5/7/09 6:31 am - Perry, MI
Good Luck with your program.  I know that many in my IOP did the 30 days inpatient first and now they are doing IOP for 15 sessions, and then will be in the weekly groups for a while.  You may want to see if IOP is an option after you are discharged.  It helps to continue treatment after you come out and ease yourself into reality. 

No matter what level of care you get, don't forget the 12 Steps and AA.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 5/9/09 7:48 am - Spicewood, TX
Thank you all for your comments - I did try to see if there was an intensive out-patient program in our area, but there is not and I think reality is that I need in-patient. I need time away to reprogram my mind,etc.
Anne
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/09 1:52 am
Hi there--I have been separated from my family due to military obligations and that separation was very difficult.  6 months at a time!  I wrote lots and lots of letters and journal'd about my experience so that my family could read it once I returned.  Yes, our situations are different but being separated from my family and living a million miles away in a foreign country was very hard and depressing--I think I cried daily.  I personally could not talk about my kids much while I was away or look at their pictures--it was just too hard and would make me too emotional but the letters helped me express how I was feeling --even if I decided not to send them for one reason or another.  I also tried to stay super busy--no idle time to let my mind wander.  I worked out 1.5-2 hrs a day and listened to my iPod with tons of fast-paced uplifting music--like "I will SURVIVE" and silly disco music like that.  I hope all of this helps just a tiny bit--my heart goes out to you and although we are strangers, I'm proud of you for doing this.  It takes a lot of courage.

Blessings,
Shammy
Lalocaweta
on 5/14/09 2:32 am - Spicewood, TX
I actually dug out my old journal - that I have not used for 4 or 5 years and put it in the suitcase. I do appreciate your comments - that helped me put this into clearer perspective. I am going to be able to have visits from my family (just not my dogs....) and we are going to do some family counseling too. So - unlike those in the military - I will have contact.
Thank you again - you really helped me today.
Anne
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views