depression 9 months post-op

isenephthys
on 4/30/09 10:18 am - CA
hi everyone.  i'm almost 9months post op and 111 pounds down from my surgical weight.  i also have a prior history of hormonal variances (pcos, hypothyroidism) as well as some psychiatric issues (bipolar type 2 and ptsd).  overall, my mood since surgery has been pretty positive.  after the initial immediate post-surgery slump, i actually saw an overall improvement in my mood symptoms.  however, since january i've been in a bit of a decline.  i had a second surgery to repair a minor complication.  since then, my energy levels are low and i've been having trouble with work.  everything is a MAJOR effort.  i'm also kind of starting a new relationship, which i *know* complicates things.  anyway, i chalked up a lot of my symptoms to post-op slump and hormonal differences until last week.  i'm now recognizing at least some of the symptoms as being psychiatric.  i want to cry a lot, am anxious and still super-tired.  i'm withdrawing from social activities.  having a hard time with basic daily tasks.  also, i am having "mental" hunger and mega carb cravings.  (which i sometimes give into which only makes me feel worse!)  is anyone else going through anything like this post op?

i'm scheduling a visit w/an endocrinologist as soon as i have the money in order to rule out hormones.  i'm waiting on a call back from my psychiatrist and therapist to schedule some face to face time.  i want to get back on track and feeling good asap!  anyway, i would appreciate any insight or advice anyone has to give.

thanks!
E N.
on 4/30/09 12:07 pm - Belleville, IL
i still crave carbs but that is because I have been eating them all my life. I was a carbitarian for a year or so and only ate carbs and veggies..... :( bad idea.
I think crying and anxeity and wanting to feed those feelings with food is probably normal. I know I still get crabby and think about chocolate. I have had depression since I was 13 and im 25 and  I still have it. Sometimes its worse or better, just depends on what my situation is. Im still depressed even though I have lost 70 lbs and some people just dont get it. Like I should be jumping with joy, and I am happy, but Im not depressing about my weight, its other things.
Are you on meds? Even though i hate them, I take them.  It regulates the crying and anxeity. I also take something to make me sleep, which helps me feel less worn out during the day.
;) if your already on meds then sometimes you have to be selfish and do something for yourself even if its buying a new pair of pants in your new size, or dressing up and going out on a date... anything but eating!
Patricia R.
on 4/30/09 1:54 pm - Perry, MI
I have similar symptoms and diagnoses as you, especially the bipolar.  I have been in psychotherapy for a very long time, in order to deal with a lot of the childhood and behavioral issues that contributed to my binge eating disorder and alcoholism. 

Not having the food to cope with negative affect will contribute to a lot of depression.  My best suggestion is to seek individual psychotherapy for regular sessions of talk therapy.  Ask for coping skills to improve your ability to deal with negative emotions without the food.  Also, try to participate in any post-op support groups that you can find. 

Feel free to post here as much as you need to. 

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

angelitamay
on 5/1/09 2:14 am - Anderson, CA
Oh, I so relate with the depression!  Depression itself is nothing new, as I have been treated and medicated for the past few years (bulimia, depression, etc.), but it's worse now than before the surgery.  At first I thought it was because it was so soon after surgery, but I'm far enough out and I've lost enough weight that I should be feeling good about myself.  I picked up an old journal the other day and read the words. . .'If I lose weight I'll be expected to be happy because the only thing I'm unhappy about is my weight, right?'  I, too, struggle with day-to-day activities.  I can make sure my son gets a shower every day but that doesn't mean I get one.  I'm really proud of you for taking the steps needed to get back on track.  My psychiatrist just made a med change for me so I'm hoping to see some improvement soon.  
Hugs!
Angie 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views