emotional eating...new to board

David B.
on 4/23/09 10:47 am - Fort Worth, TX

Hello everyone. I am new to this board. I am going thur a 3 month diet program to get RNY surgury. My 3 months will be up around July 10th.

I tend to eat more and sometimes benge eat when I am alone, or when I am bored. I am afriad this will cause me to mess up after my surgery. I do have a live in partner, but if he goes away on a trip for a few days, I eat everything in the house. Sometimes it is to the point of making myself sick.

I am afriad to tell the Nut assocated with my surgen for fear that would delay me having my surgery.

Any ideas or suggestions?

David

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/09 2:48 pm
Patricia R.
on 4/24/09 7:53 am - Perry, MI
You may wish to check out individual therapy and learn some coping skills.  I went to eating disorder treatment twice and learned a bunch.  There are alternatives to eating when we have loneliness, or boredom.

Be totally honest with everyone.  Go to pre-op support meetings and talk about your concerns.  You are not the only person to have this surgery and be an emotional eater.

I will try to find a list of coping skills to post.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

David B.
on 4/24/09 8:36 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the advise. A list of coping skills would be great.

David
Patricia R.
on 4/24/09 11:34 am - Perry, MI

Boost your self-esteem by becoming involved in activities that interest you. Discover your passion!

· Go online and talk with an online friend.

· Imagine yourself in a safe place where you do not need to think about doing anything that is harmful to yourself.

· Make a list of positive affirmations. Pick one, look at yourself in the mirror and say if morning and night for 21 days. The affirmation will become a part of you!

· Get a massage. You can get pretty inexpensive massages at any school that teaches massage.

· Walk your dog or play with you cat.

· Make a list of some nice things you would like to do for your friends.

· Think about taking some classes or doing something to help you discover your passion.

· Tell your parent, husband, partner, or friend that you love them.

· Make a list of what you are grateful for. This is tough when you are stressed, but if you write it down, the act of writing will help!

Deep breathing exercises.

Physical exercise

Learn a craft

Pray

Meditate

Visualization exercises

Call a friend

Do volunteer work

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

jenvtwingirl
on 5/1/09 5:03 am
 Hi David, I am 5.6 years out from surgery. I had a psychologist tell me a couple days ago that should have NEVER had my gastric bypass surgery. Unfortunately, what you do not know is. Once an addiction, always an addiction. I think I was the only person in Overeaters Anonymous at 126 lbs. I have also been to hypnosis and many food counselors since my surgery. The binge issues still exist. Yes, you will find ways to 'eat around' your surgery. Please make sure this is what you want to do, and know that it will take a lifetime of working the steps to exist.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/25/09 2:35 am

she has given a good list. everybody is different and you need to try stuff and make your own list of what works for you

I call people I haven't talked to for too long - with a cell phone there is no reason not to call long distance - surely you have a cousin you haven't talk to in years or something? look up people from when you were in school.

I really like outdoor stuff like raking leaves, mowing, pulling up weeds.

learn a craft - that's an excellent idea. anything you've always wanted to do but never tried? or enjoyed years ago and haven't done lately? like to travel? plan a trip.

I personally tend to take up horseback riding this summer!

good luck!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

NewLife100
on 5/4/09 9:41 am - Canada
hey I appreciate your concern
I was approved with both bullima and eating disorder as long as i had psyciatric help
you do need some kind of counselling to deal with the issues of eating
GOOD LUCK
kgoeller
on 5/17/09 10:19 am - Doylestown, PA
I'd strongly suggest reading this article: 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mental-health/5-Issues-That-Can-Sabotage-Weight-Loss-Surgery.html

Address the issues with your Nut and surgeon, and reach out to a therapist or OA group to understand and work through tools to help you succeed both before and after surgery.  It would be better to delay your surgery and be successful, than to push the surgery forward and sabotage yourself with issues that should have been addressed beforehand.

make sense?

Karen
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views