is this becoming a problem?

occular_spectacular
on 4/24/09 1:23 am
I have a lapband and was losing fine for awhile and then it slowed down.   At first I became depressed and didn't eat much and then the weight began to fall off.  So, I kept it up.  I'll go two or three days, sometimes more if I can without eating.  Some days I feel like I have to eat atleast a couple of crackers or so because my head starts to hurt, and I'll get shaky.   I've also begun to take adderall for ADD reasons.  It just so happens that it suppresses my appetite, and helps me go longer without eating.    Except that every few days I'll have a day where I eat a lot...  I generally feel pretty guilty about it, but also think that I can get away with it if I don't eat for the next couple of days, or just eat enough to actually feel it fuel my body. 

A few friends have noticed that I don't eat a lot and have expressed their concern.  I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong other than I should take more vitamins.  I don't really take any at all right now.  Also I've been doing this for a few months now and so far I'm fine.  Other than some days I feel weak, and I get headaches.

I don't want to be an "anorexic' though, and I feel like the fact that I eat some crackers here and there keep me safe from becoming one.  Plus, I'm still fat and anorexics are underweight. 
Patricia R.
on 4/24/09 12:51 pm - Perry, MI
When I was in treatment for Binge Eating Disorder, I met a woman who was anorexic and she had gastric bypass previously.  It is possible to become anorexic.

I strongly suggest you seek individual psychotherapy for this, as it does sound like eating disordered behavior.

God bless.
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/25/09 2:23 am
it sounds like at the very least you aren't getting enough nutrition. protein, for example. and, yes, maybe you are becoming anorexic.

does your surgeon have a nutritionist and a therapist you could talk to? you need to get some professional help.

I hope you had surgery not just to lose weight but to become more healthy and living for days on crackers and vitamins is not good.

take care of yourself!

Jackie

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Emily_Rose
on 4/26/09 10:01 am - Fort Worth, TX
Being underweight is just an effect of anorexia, it is not the first sign.  Most start as you are going.  I have a good friend who has fought this for a long time.  A few crackers is not nutrition.  Please do not make escuses for this behavior and get help now before you have major health problems.  Supplements are not food and are not meant to replace eating.  I know you say that you do not think you are doing anything wrong, but the fact that you posted this on this forum tells me you know deep down  that it is not a heathy path you are taking. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views