transfer addictions

nursegal132
on 4/22/09 11:18 pm - CALGARY, Canada
please im not doing well so if anyone has any suggestions on addictions mine is alcohol id appreciate it.....any info on anti craving meds?
thanks

sweeney1
on 4/23/09 12:04 am
Arre you drinking right now?
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/23/09 3:52 am
I don't know about meds but it sounds like you need to talk to a professional. what is available to you?

can you tell us more: have you been to AA? or is this addiction new?

Jackie

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Patricia R.
on 4/23/09 9:11 am - Perry, MI
I have been in AA for almost 20 years.  I am currently in outpatient treatment for my alcoholism.  There are some anti-craving meds, but the reality is, if you are addictive, you will find something else to do or eat, or shop, or whatever, because the problem is not the alcohol, it is our thinking and lack of ability to handle negative emotions.  That is why AA and therapy or treatment are more important than a quick fix to get off the alcohol.

I suggest you attend some AA meetings and find a sponsor to help you learn about the 12 steps.  You can find meetings using the website www.aa.org

You can also read about AA at that website, including the Big Book, "Alcoholics Anonymous."

Feel free to PM me anytime.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

gizmo103
on 4/26/09 12:38 pm

Hi I can identify with what you are going through.  Two months after my surgery(5/2002) I started to drink and eventually use almost any drug to change my feelings.  Men and shopping are also part of it.

I tried to stop on my own by promising only on the weekends or only buying a certain amount and saying thats all I'll drink.  Of course, I did wind up drinking on the weekdays  and once I ran out I went to buy more, which was even worse because now I was driving while under the influence. 

What I found helped me was finding out information about recovery.  The best place I went to was my local addiction treatment center.  I had to be honest , willing and open to suggestions.

Also , Naltrexone, is what the 28 day rehab started me on.  Its to help with alcohol cravings. But remember it's not a magic pill I did relapse while on it.

And meetings are the foundation of my recovery,  AA  and NA  (Narcotics Anonymous)

I'll be here for ya

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views