Hypomania= bipolar?

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/09 1:01 am - NH

I had what my therapists calls a hypomania episode a few weeks ago, and now she says she thinks i am bipolar.

Most of my adult life I have been in a funk, like a low grade depression.

Can 1 hypomania episode mean bipolar?

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/21/09 5:12 am

not sure but there is a kind of bipolar called bipolar II  maybe that was it? it might also be called soft bipolar

you can read about it here

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/frameset.html 

Jackie

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Patricia R.
on 4/21/09 9:29 am - Perry, MI
I can't find my DSM-IV to be able to read exactly what the criterion are for bipolar.  You can google it and learn what the criterion are.  Different mental health professionals will disagree on diagnoses for patients.  My psychiatrist says I am bipolar, but my therapist says I am personality disorder NOS with borderline features.  I used to be borderline all the time.

What matters more than the diagnosis is getting the proper treatment from your therapist and a psychiatrist.  If you are bipolar, you will need to have the proper medication, and be seen regularly by a psychiatrist.

Good luck,
trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

DK35
on 4/22/09 11:43 am - Campbell, CA
I was diagnosed with Cyclothymia. I think I might have spelled it wrong. and I haven't had very many hypomania episodes. It is a milder form of bipolar disorder. I have more depression than feeling really good. I hope you find a medication that makes you feel better if you want to try it. I didn't do well on the anti seizer medications or the ones prescribed typically for this illness. I am currently taking celexa and I have very little side effects and feel a lot better. Exercise seems to help me the most to stablize my moods. I hope you find what works for you.

Dianna
mandajolyn
on 5/29/09 5:49 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Bipolar 2 is a milder form of bipolar. Hypomania occurs in patients with bipolar 2. Have your Dr do a full Evaluation to determine your true diagnosis.  Have you ever had a hypomania episode before this? Here are some "Typical symptoms"  I would research All types of bipolar disorder  so you understand what your Dr is talking about. 

Hypomanic Episode
SYMPTOMS

A hypomanic episode is not a disorder in itself, but rather is a description of a part of a type of bipolar disorder. 

A hypomanic episode is characterized by a distinct period of persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting throughout at least 4 days, that is clearly different from the person's usual mood. 

During the period of mood disturbance, 3 or more of the following symptoms have persisted (4 if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree: 
Inflated self-esteem or grandiosity 
Decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep) 
More talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking 
Flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing 
Distractibility (e.g., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli) 
Increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation 
Excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., the person engages in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments) 

A hypomanic episode is associated with a change in functioning that is uncharacteristic of the person. For example, the individual may be far more productive or outgoing and socialable than they usually are. This change in functioning and in mood are not subtle -- the change is directly noticeable by others (usually friends or family members) during a hypomanic episode. 

A hypomanic episode is also not severe enough to cause serious impairment in social or occupational functioning, or to necessitate hospitalization, and there are no psychotic features. The observable symptoms of a hypomanic episode must not be due to substance use or abuse (e.g., alcohol, drugs, medications) or caused by a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism or diabetes). 

People who experience a hypomanic episode are often diagnosed with a type of bipolar disorder.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views