eating disorders

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/15/09 11:08 pm

anybody want to talk about ED?  I am a binge eater.

I posted this on the MB 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/3908200/eating-disord ers-in-post-ops/

and I kind of astonished at the lack of interest. I know people with EDs are out there, but where are they talking about them?

Jackie

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Patricia R.
on 4/17/09 4:26 pm - Perry, MI
many years ago, prior to my surgery, I sought outpatient treatment for my binge eating disorder.  I actually went through two periods of treatment, and was successful in losing weight, but had trouble after treatment because I missed the support of the therapists and group members.

Now that I am post-op, I find myself giving in more, probably due to my relapse with alcohol.  I am currently in outpatient treatment for that. 

It is interesting that you mention a lack of interest in discussing it with surgery patients.  I have observed that as well.  When I participated in OA, many years ago, there was an anti-surgery school of thought.  Now that I am post-op, there appears to be, in many patients, a denial of an eating disorder. 

I am so grateful for my therapy, treatment and participation in OA prior to my surgery.

Feel free to PM me if you desire.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/17/09 10:03 pm

Hi Trish

thanks for replying.

can you tell me what your treatment for was binge eating was like? I mean, what actually happens?  I went to a therapist for it but it wasn't helpful. I don't have insurance so being private pay may mean I didn't give it enough time but it felt like I was paying for nothing.

what is supposed to happen in therapy? what works?

if there is a group in my small town I would guess it isn't specifically for BED. do you think being in a group with people who have a different ED is useful? like if it was me and a room full of anorexics?

Jackie

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Patricia R.
on 4/17/09 10:27 pm - Perry, MI
Hi there,
I went to two different facilities for outpatient treatment for my eating disorder.  Both facilities treated anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder.  The better one was in 2005.  I went three times a week, from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m.  We had a variety of group therapies, individual therapy, family therapy, and a weekly session with the psychiatrist.  We also ate supper there, so that we could learn to eat comfortably in proper portions.  The groups were helpful because the only difference between binge eaters and anorexics is the amount of food.  The feelings and emotions are the same.

I first entered individual psychotherapy for my eating disorder, back in 1989.  Both treatment and therapy taught me coping skills to deal with my negative emotions.  Some of the coping skills I have used include deep breathing exercises, visualization/relaxation, journaling, soothing music, prayer and meditation. 

If you do not have insurance, you may want to consider attending Overeaters Anonymous meetings.  They are a 12 Step program, patterned after Alcoholics Anonymous, and there you can gain a lot of insight into the three fold problem of eating disorders:  physical, mental and spiritual.  Given what I know about some of the attitudes that some there can have, if you were to attend, you may not want to mention the WLS early on.  You can learn more about OA at their website, https://www.oa.org/

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.  I have not achieved my WLS goal weight because my eating disorder came back with a vengeance after I relapsed on the alcohol. 

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

angelitamay
on 4/24/09 1:58 am - Anderson, CA
Hi Jackie and Trish,

I've struggled with bulimia and binge eating for over 30 years.  I've been in treatment for the last eight (both in-patient and out).  Trish is completely right about the core beliefs being the same, no matter if your anorexic or a compulisive binge eater.  I had surgery in December and I've been struggling more with the anorexic way of thinking, 'I don't need to eat,' 'Less is better,' etc.  My head is like a radio station with someone constantly changing the channels and ED is the DJ on every freakin' one! I haven't seen my therapist since I've had surgery.  We have Kaiser and I was in their eating disorder program.  She disagreed with my decision to have surgery, I didn't feel supported by her or that I could trust her, and I haven't gone back.  I also suffer from depression which I am medicated for, but I am wondering if the meds are working because I've been reading a lot about physchiatric meds not being completing absorbed after surgery.

Do you have any good ED books?
cwschlesner
on 2/21/10 11:54 am
I know this is an old post...but, do you guys know if it can help/hurt you with a history of bullemia if you are trying to get the lap band or any other gastric surgery?
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views