how to permanently cure oneself of ever drinking too much again

Sam I Am
on 4/3/09 4:56 pm - Raleigh, NC
I'm not an alcoholic as a matter of fact I can't remember the last time I had a drink, but the way you think about alcohol is completely different than the way I feel about it and that makes me thnk you might have a problem.  

There are several things about your post that concern me, first the sheer amount of alcohol you consumed, after RNY, and the relatively short amount of time you consumed it it.  That leads me to believe you have built up quite a tolerance for alcohol.

Not drinking for a week is good, but its not an accomplishment, people who don't have issues with alcohol can go weeks and weeks or months or years without drinking and not think anything of it.  Just because you are drinking at a "socially" acceptable level does nto mean you aren't an alcoholic.  Alcoholism is not measured by whether you drink as much as others, it is measured by how alcohol affects your life and clearly it is negatively affecting your life.

Right now you are white knuckling your sobriety and if you don't get help to stay sober you are going to slip again in the future.

And why the heck did your boyfriend take you to get beer after you drank six bottles of champagne?
Sam Iama
15 months and 200lbs, its my life and i'm back! Check out my blog.

RHONDA FROM KY
on 3/22/09 12:57 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Read my posting of A Day At A Time that I posted today. 

What you are experiencing now I truly believe is a learning of the FIRST STEP.. that YOU have no control over alcohol.  Right now.. you still think you do. 

I too thought I could control it.  I am a binge drinker also.. and the later part of my days.. my binging became more frequent.  I also controlled what I drank and when I drank it.. thinking I had the control.  What I eventually learned is that I am POWERLESS OVER ALCOHOL.  I hope that you learn that too in your journey and find the steps for recovery.

~~hugsss~~

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Michelle W.
on 4/10/09 11:57 am, edited 4/10/09 12:01 pm - Olmsted Falls, OH
There is no cure for addiction- you either have it or you don't- and from your post, you sound like the punishment you endured fixed the problem, but that is probably not the case.
 Addiction is a life long battle- it can be put into remission, but it never goes away.
 What is your reasoning for drinking since that incident?? Ultimately, it is up to you to decide if you are an alcoholic, and there are online support meetings if you are uncomfortable going to a live AA meeting.
 I have been in recovery for a year and a half, and I do not attend AA/NA.It isn't for me, but what I am doing is working just fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views