sugar withdrawal

piper
on 3/16/09 5:05 am
Hi everyone - I was wondering how others felt while withdrawing from all forms of sugar, carbs, etc. Last week I started the South Beach diet which is no sugar, no white stuff, like bread and pasta. Also, no alcohol. I went cold turkey on all. Funny thing is the one thing I thought I couldn't live without was wine. Now I crave the carbs more than that! Which I never thought could happen. That's a real positive for me. But I have had brutal headaches since starting this program and thought it must be the lack of sugar. Has anyone else been thru this and about how long does it take to start feeling better?

Thanks!
sweeney1
on 3/16/09 7:08 am
I only have that happen if I cut out caffine.  Did you by chance go cold turkey on caffine?
piper
on 3/16/09 7:27 am
No, I figured giving up sugar and wine was enough for now! I don't drink a ton of caffine but I know I would feel much worse if I stopped that too. Are you off sugar and alcohol too?
sweeney1
on 3/16/09 11:06 pm

I have a very low tolerance for sugar, so that is easy to pass.  I Have two glasses of wine only about twice a a week now.  I think I am over that scare.  Not sure, but I am writing it down just incase I start slipping.

Patricia R.
on 3/16/09 8:34 am - Perry, MI
Make sure you are getting the good grains and good proteins, and lots and lots of water.

I never had headaches from sugar withdrawal, but you never know.

Good luck.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

ejjy
on 4/4/09 11:49 pm - Watertown, MA
my understanding is that alcohol is broken down into sugar (simple carbohydrate) in your bloodstream, so it's part of the whole carb/sugar dependency issue.  I have never been able to go cold-turkey off carbs.  I know a little about detox and i know it's different for everyone.  Having quit smoking and some other substances, what I can say is that my own commitment and acceptance doesnt eliminate the withdrawal, but it drastically shortened the period of physican and mental cravings and anguish.  Deep breathing helped when I was anxious and/or craving.  Recommitting was essential.  It was when I held doubt in my mind that it was the hardest.  Good luck. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views