agoraphobia?

Georgina R.
on 3/6/09 6:43 am - Bakersfield, CA
Hi everybody, this is my first time posting on this board but I'm definitely a veteran to mental health issues.

My therapist suggested recently that I might have agoraphobia.  I've been afraid to leave the house for a few months and it's gotten progressively worse the past few weeks.  I can only go outside when I'm with my fiance, and then it is only to places that aren't crowded, feel safe, and have an immediately available escape route.

I was wondering if anybody has experience with this and could give me some advice.  I'd appreciate any.

Thanks.  :)
Patricia R.
on 3/6/09 11:17 am - Perry, MI
I do not have a lot of experience with it, but did treat a client with it once.  She had been a teller in a bank and was held up at gunpoint.  After the assault, she developed such a fear of leaving her apartment, she could not function very well at all.  I had been helping her to take baby steps in going out to small stores during off hours, when they would not be crowded.  She was progressing well, till one day her boyfriend forced her to go to a huge shopping mall and she completely decompensated.

My suggestion is two fold.  First, keep a journal of your thinking when you go out, and come home.  What thoughts went with your fear while you were out?  What were you afraid of while you were out?  Second, take baby steps, and try to take them daily.  If you need to have someone with you when you go out, that is okay.  Even if you just take a walk to the corner of your street one day, just getting out will help you.  The more you stay home, the stronger your fear becomes. 

Take your journal to therapy with you so you can discuss your thinking that goes with your feelings when you are out.  This will help your therapist help you.  I journal a lot and share it with my therapist, and is has helped me make tremendous progress in my overall recovery from my issues.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Georgina R.
on 3/7/09 12:38 am - Bakersfield, CA
Thank you so much, Trish.

I always have my fiance with me when I go out, so that will continue until I feel brave enough to try leaving the house on my own.  Your journal suggestion has me thinking that my unexplained desire to write more these days is a good one.

I will keep taking baby steps and writing!  Thanks!
Britt W.
on 3/12/09 8:57 am - Republic, MO
hello there i am new to the board but not new to mental issues.  i have agoraphobia and it is not fun at all.  there are days i cant take my daughter out to play b/c i am to scared something might happen and there would be no one to help me as i freaked out.  medication has been a big help.  i am on 3 different things.  i know what you are going through just hang in there.

britt
Georgina R.
on 3/13/09 3:02 am - Bakersfield, CA
Thanks, Britt.  My medication's really starting to help too.  I think me and my psychiatrist finally found a combination that works for me.  Yay!

HUUUGS!
mandajolyn
on 5/29/09 7:04 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I aslo suffer from really bad agorophobia! Unless I have to, I don't leave my house alone. My husband has to drag me out of the house. I don't get around well because of a back injury so when we do go anywhere and the pain hits, I panic and go into complete meltdown! I know what you're going through...it's tough to deal with and understand!  
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views