Sticking Close to AA

Patricia R.
on 3/1/09 12:56 pm - Perry, MI

I have a huge fear right now that I have to share, and put out there.  As a lot of you know, I had sinus surgery about 11 days ago.  Prior to the surgery, I was concerned about relapsing on alcohol because of being on narcotic painkillers for the surgery.  Well, I took the pills as prescribed ONLY when necessary, and stuck close to AA, the Steps, my sponsor, and my phone.   Well, there has been a glitch in my recovery that has messed with my head.  I am not out of the woods pain wise yet.  My sinuses have developed some terrible swelling, which is causing fluid build up to press on my ear, and not drain.  The pain and pressure I have been experiencing has had me in tears at work.  I returned to work on Thursday, and Tylenol did not make a dent in my earache when it flared up both days.    So, on Saturday, I fell apart in tears on my couch.  I prayed for God to show me what the best course of action was.  I needed to really check my motives, because I can abuse anything, and I did not want to set myself up for another relapse.  I called the doctor's office and explained I was still experiencing the pain in my ear.  The doc explained what was causing it.   My reason for posting this is to be honest, and stay close to my program.  I live alone, and am not geographically near anyone who can monitor my meds.    If I am still experiencing the pain by Wednesday, the doc will get another call from me.  That day will be two weeks post-op, and I will stay on top of it with the doc in order to come up with some plan, should the pain continue.   Huggles to everyone, Trish R.
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Kathy
on 3/4/09 3:30 am - Hamilton, NJ
Trish,
You have my sympathy.  I am facing sinus surgery and am now experiencing intense migraines about every 2-3 days.  I do not want to take narcotics to relieve the pain (which in all probability would work) so my choice is limited.  I do not want to jeopardize my 8-1/2 months of sobriety.  I am working closely with my docs and trying a few different things, including Nsaids - I think at this point, with as debilitating as my migraines are, I would risk an ulcer.  I know, not good.  My other un-scientific approach is to have someone hit me on the right side of my head with a hammer so that it balances out the pain on the left side.  Whatcha think?  Thinking about you.
Kathy
Patricia R.
on 3/4/09 4:27 am - Perry, MI
I would take the hammer to the head myself these days.  I am on the narcotics for the earache.  I can take most pain, except the earache. 

I appreciate your sympathy.  I know that once the sinuses stop swelling, I will be okay.  Till then, the ears fill up and the shooting pain is awful. 

Hang in there.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views