Surgery, recovery, dealing with physical pain

Patricia R.
on 2/27/09 1:03 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Everyone,
I had sinus surgery 10 days ago, and have had some interesting experiences during my recuperation period.  I went into the surgery with a lot of fear about relapsing with my alcohol recovery because of the painkillers.  I am also in an Intensive Outpatient Treatment Program for my alcoholism, because of my terrible relapse and being very newly sober. 

The first few days after the surgery, I had little physical pain, probably because in addition to my narcotic painkiller, I still had the anasthesia in my system.  Then, the pain kicked in, and I was concerned.  My sponsor took me to meetings, and kept reassuring me on the phone that I was okay.  Then, this week, I thought I was out of the woods.  I went to my treatment group on Monday, and then when I got home, I got hit with the most horrific earache I have ever had.  I was in tears.  I took my painkillers and they did nothing to get rid of the pain.  I went to my ENT surgeon for my post-op visit, and he said I had sinus pressure in my ear.  He gave me more steroids, which I ran out of after the surgery, and sent me on my way with instructions to irrigate as much as possible.

Well, the earache keeps coming back each day, in the afternoon, and now that I have returned to work, I have been in tears by the end of the workday.  Now, I am getting panicky because I am almost out of my painkillers.  I don't know if I am panicky because of my fear the pain will hit me again over the weekend, and I will run out of my pills, OR, if I am panicking because I am an alcoholic afraid I won't get my legitimate fix over the weekend.

My plan is to wait and see how things go over the weekend, and if the pain becomes too unbearable, I will go to the emergency room, and get my ear checked out and see what pans out that way. 

I can take a lot of pain.  I gave birth to two children who weighed 10 and a half pounds at birth, and I did it naturally.  I cannot handle the level of pain that ha**** my ear this week.  

Sorry to whine.  I just had to share where I am at.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 2/27/09 10:50 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hi Trish.. no whining just voicing your concern hun..   I hope you are doing okay.  Keep us updated ..  Bigggg Hugssss to you!!

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views