Getting Involved

Patricia R.
on 2/20/09 3:07 pm - Perry, MI
My sponsor took me to my AA meeting this evening.  I am still on my pain killers and was unable to drive because of it.  Back in December, I signed up to chair the meeting in April.  My thinking was that I would have 90 days of sobriety by then, which is the required time to do that service.  Well, I did not stop drinking until January 11, and forgot I had made that commitment till this week. I was not sure what to do about the commitment, and my sponsor brought it up tonight when we got to the meeting.  So, after the meeting, I spoke with someone, and we were trying to figure out what the best course of action would be when a friend spoke up and said she would take the first half of April for me.  What a blessing.  My sponsor told me she was proud of me for being honest and taking care of it.  She also suggested that I take another month, later in the year, in order to make an amends to the group.  I think she is very wise.

I am so grateful that I am sober today, and working my program.  It got me through my surgery, and has kept me stable this week.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 2/20/09 11:01 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
That is wonderful Trish..  and what a way for your friend to step up and help her own sobriety by helping you.  It sooo amazes me how paying it forward helps ourselves really.. kinda greedy.. but not

I'm so grateful that you are doing better... your posts just illuminate from your sobriety with each day out.  I understand we still have our bad days.. but .. we see them so differently when not in our drinking.

love ya

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Patricia R.
on 2/21/09 2:11 am - Perry, MI
Thanks Rhonda,
I am struggling this weekend, being on narcotic pain killers and all that goes with them.  Not sure if I have mentioned that I am still in outpatient treatment, but at a different facility than before.

One of the things I am so grateful for is my sponsor.  She is a God send.  She and I went to junior high together, and we had the same classes.  She is totally opposite of me, but so good at being a sponsor.  I am outgoing and talkative, she is quiet and subdued, but she is exactly what I need.  She has me doing a 4th step, and I am realizing that there is so much I never covered in previous 4th steps.  It could take me a while, but I am working on it.

I made a meeting last night, and again this morning at 6:00 a.m.  I hope to be able to make a meeting again tonight with my sponsor.  Her home group is on Saturday nights, and I will be speaking at that meeting on my 3 month anniversary.

I have a lot of gratitude and sometimes I just burst with it.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views