Social Anxiety and WLS

Clara B.
on 1/21/09 9:32 pm - Washington, DC
VSG on 11/25/08 with
Absolutely. One gets impatient though, after years of hard work :) But you just have to keep keep going and not let the negative thoughts take over!
Kitty Kat
on 1/21/09 8:09 pm - Richmond, VA
Your reply has me thinking as well Marie. I couldn't agree more that WLS does NOT at all prepare us for what we'll face post-op. All the shrinks and pre-op classes and more just don't serve the best purposes. Its all a learning deal for us. Thanks for being supportive to Clara which has in turn helped me. :)
Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

marieh
on 1/21/09 8:17 pm - So. Easton, MA
This board helped me tremendously when I needed it. I'm happy to throw in my two cents!! At my WLS surgery group we've all pretty much said that there isn't enough therapy post-op. There are so many changes mentally and physically, it's hard to stay sane and sober while dealing with all the transition. I've transferred addictions from alcohol to shopping and baking and buying shoes. None are necessarily destructive (cept to my credit score) but I see it for what it is. Now I just have to stop myself before I purchase. It's a learning thing, as you say, and I need to hit bottom on this. 

Omajackie
on 1/30/09 11:37 am
Hello,

I have been reading your emails too each other and feel I have many of the same feelings.  I haven't had my surgery yet but I am hope the self-esteem will get better when I am feeling better about my self.  Problem I see is that I always had a self-esteem problem and the weight problem for only the last 15 or so years.  I hope I am not counting on this surgery to cure all my ills, if you know what I mean.  What are your thoughts on this?

jACKIE
Clara B.
on 1/30/09 11:47 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 11/25/08 with
It can't cure your ills - the only reason I am doing so well is because of all the work I did on myself BEFORE the surgery. I could never have been ready for the surgery if I hadn't done that work, and if weight loss has changed my body image, it's because I laid that groundwork first.

Does that make sense?
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views