Healthy cross addititions

Pat/Louise W.
on 1/19/09 8:56 pm - Bradenton, FL
RNY on 03/18/04 with
Hello:

I was wondering if anyone has attempted and or succeeded in channeling their addictions into something safe. Years ago I had a friend who was an alcoholic. He attended AA and eventually he channeled his compulsions into gardening. He knew that he was excessive about his yard and lawn but it was safe and he had the most fabulous garden and he stayed sober.

I'd like to be able to do that. After wls I became an alcoholic. I'm attending AA. I worry about  just ending up with another addiction. So if I have to be addicted to something I'd rather it be a safe something instead of shopping or something else equally destructive.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Pat
Lalocaweta
on 1/20/09 7:15 am - Spicewood, TX
I have gone back to school - I am really, really anal about doing my school work (Have a 4.0 GPA so it is working) Figured it is a healthy cross-addiction that will also have additional pay-offs besides helping me not drink.
aarw1969
on 1/20/09 9:18 am - Lebanon, VA
Pat, that is a GREAT idea...  I'm going to look into that, because I can't keep shoping everytime I have something happen that triggers that attack...

Gardening or school, what ever is wonderful ideas... TThanks for that....
Kitty Kat
on 1/20/09 9:57 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Pat,

This is a good post. For me, I've turned my addiction into something I've always done but finally have the extra push and that is writing & support. I'm writing my story and have become addicted to helping others who have struggled with addiction transfer after WLS. I want others to know they are not alone. I also pursue activities such as gardening, getting out in nature, walking & get togethers with friends on a consistent basis.

Addiction in my opinion is a life long struggle but we CAN get through it. Wishing you the best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views