Post op depression

KITTYKAY
on 1/7/09 1:44 pm
Yes, it's me again 5 month post op RNY...what did you do to shake your depression? I am really doing through some wierd stuff. It's like I'm afraid to loose anymore weight...all the sudden. What is this all about, Self Idenity? I'm all the sudden afraid of the new me...sound strange? I don't understand these feelings.
 Kitty Kay

Raise awareness - Multiple Sclerosis

RNY 7-30-08
233/150
LeaCali
on 1/8/09 12:24 am - Los Angeles, Ca
 Try to acknowledge you have lost your best friend....food.  Your body is changing and overall you are working on a new you.  For me that was really scary, I was and am wearing sizes I NEVER did, even at 48 I am wearing clothes I literally wore at 10 years old

Your feelings don't sound strange at all, the first 2 weeks after surgery I allowed myself to feel miserable.  If you feel like it is too much too handle maybe you should seek guidance or talk to your surgeon.

Feel free to e-mail me.

Lea
Lalocaweta
on 1/8/09 1:15 am - Spicewood, TX
Depression after wls is VERY common - for a variety of reasons - one your body is undergoing a massive change including hormonal changes. Those can lead to a chemical imbalance resulting in depression.
In addition, women tend to go through a number of changes due to the rapid changes in their bodies. You are having to discover who you are now and that can be scary.
I would suggest seeing your doctor to see if anti-depressants will help
Anne
Patricia R.
on 1/11/09 12:34 pm - Perry, MI
I was already in psychotherapy long before my WLS, so I had a terrific support system already in place when I went through my post-op depression.  My depression was compounded by the sudden death of my younger brother two month post-op.  To add to my confusion, my other brother died suddenly this past winter, while I was recuperating from hernia surgery. 

Needless to say, I highly recommend psychotherapy with a good, licensed therapy who has experience with eating issues and addiction issues.  Food, for me, is an addictive substance that has helped me with my emotions.  In controlling my food intake, I relapsed on alcohol, as I am also an alcoholic. 

Feel free to PM me, if you need to talk.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/12/09 1:42 am
There a few issues that we have and one of them is food related.  Carbs help with serotonin production, and since post op we are on a limited carbs intake - eventually some of us experience the depression.  Maybe part of our food addiction was "food self medicated depression"? and once we cut down on the food, the depression shows her really ugly head? not sure.  

I know that I am on Lexapro, and it helps with some level of depression.  
Not that I advertise the drugs, but.... there was imbalance in my brain before that prevented me from losing weight and maintaining - so ... I am willing to try a different approach this time.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

aarw1969
on 1/19/09 7:20 am - Lebanon, VA

Kitty,

Are you taking any meds. for depression?  I was before my surgery, but after like you I noticed it was like they wern't working.  So my doctor switched me to a different on.  Just a suggestion, but I did go through the same thing and I still have my depression and anxiety.

Hugs,

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views