On Shaky Ground

Patricia R.
on 1/3/09 3:41 am - Perry, MI
I am feeling afraid and vulnerable.  I got the courage today to give up my furry friends, Ellie and Madison, to the SPCA.  These two cats have seen me through a lot.  I got Madison the year my husband left me, and Ellie as I finished graduate school.  They have been there for me when my son had his heroin problem, and both my brothers passed away.

My AA sponsor reminded me of the AA suggestion concerning no major changes in the first year of sobriety.  Unfortunately, I have been on antibiotics for my sinus/allergy/asthma issues for months now. 

Right now, I would like a drink.  I have taken some steps to take care of myself, like calling my sponsor, and taking a long, brisk walk with my sister-in-law.  I am afraid to deal with the feelings.

I hope I can get through this without losing my sanity, as fragile as that is these days.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 1/3/09 9:02 am - So. Easton, MA
Trish, I know this is tough for you. I'll give it to you straight. We both know a drink won't help, it'll only hurt. I'm glad you called your sponsor and took that walk. Staying sober will help you deal when you're ready to face your feelings. I think you're on the right track!!

Hugs,
Marie

Patricia R.
on 1/3/09 9:15 am - Perry, MI
Hi Marie,
Thanks for the timely reminder.  I missed making a meeting my sponsor goes to for a stupid reason.  I did call her again tonight though.  I also ate some cookies I baked.  My sponsor's answer is, "Did you drink?"  When I tell her "No," she says, "Then you're a winner."

Have a great weekend.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Joyceisready
on 1/3/09 9:15 am - Rio Vista, CA
Hello Trish!

I cannot give you advice on your weight loss journey as I have yet to embark on mine. My surgery is scheduled for Jan 12th.

I can support you in sobriety though as I have trudged that road for many years now. One saying I heard frequently in early sobriety which was of great help to me was "Don't quit five minutes before the miracle." I know that it hurts to have to part ways with a beloved pet, for any reason, but maybe the "miracle" for you can be reaching the point where you can look back on your memories of the cats with pleasure and not with sorrow. I hope so.

We have a dog who is a cancer survivor. He had surgery in Feb 04. Now he has a strange know sticking out of one foreleg. Of course, I think it is cancer. It will be removed on Wed., but I do not think my husband and I will have it biopsied. If the cancer has returned and spread throughout his body, we would be thinking more of ourselves than of him to keep him alive. I may be in your same situation soon. I know that giving up my sobriety over it would neither cure his problem or bring him back if we have to decide to put him to sleep.

I may need you to remind me of that then! Hang in there, please.

Joyce of Joyceisready
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/09 5:12 pm

I'm sorry that you are going thru this...but glad you are reaching out for help!  I can't relate as I haven't had to lose a pet yet.  But I can relate to the need to drink.  But again....haven't gone thru AA.  You have done the right thing by reaching out for help to your sponsor.  I hope that you are ok.  Please let us know.

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/3/09 9:53 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Trish hun...  

just know in your head and heart.. that other people have these feelings too hun and are able to work thru them without numbing the hurt.  I know it's not really the drink you want.. but wanting the effect the drink will have on your feelings.  Try to know that *if* you drink.. and numb those feelings.. YOU will sober up and it will only hurt worse. 

You are a winner .. you are making wonderful progress.. just take it a step at a time right now.  You are going thru some life experiences that are difficult right now.. but WHEN you work thru them sober, you'll know you are capable of handling life on it's terms and it will make you sooo much stronger.  You will know it!!

keep reaching out hun..

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Susan H.
on 1/5/09 7:49 am - Columbus, OH
((((((((( hugs )))))))) Pets are such a joy and a comfort. I am so sorry you are going through a rough time.

I'M AT GOAL!       
natalie1975
on 3/13/09 7:06 pm - Yardley, PA
i am so sorry...what happened that you had to give up your animals?

Patricia R.
on 3/13/09 10:24 pm - Perry, MI
I have cat allergies and was sick with sinus infections since October.  I have since had sinus surgery, from which I am still recuperating.

How have you been?

Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views