antabuse

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/09 12:48 am
Does anyone know anything about it?  Do you take it?  PM me if you prefer not to post it.
Patricia R.
on 1/3/09 1:36 am - Perry, MI
I have never taken Antabuse.  I have seen people on different forums discuss it.  My experience has been when I truly work my AA program, I am successful in putting together long term sobriety.  I relapse when I am not doing the 12 Steps and attending AA meetings. 

Have you tried AA?  It is worth the effort. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 1/3/09 7:19 am - Spicewood, TX
Paula:
I took it for about 2 months - it did not work for me - in that I did NOT get violently ill when I drank. The only thing it did when I drank was to give me a rash that looked like sunburn. It does not work for everyone and those of us who have wls - have less chance of it working.
I know there is someone who posts on here who is using a newer drug that is supposed to work the same way.
A
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/09 7:57 am
I have not done AA.  I am looking into going to one soon.  But I am seeing my Dr on Tuesday and want to discuss with her treatment options other than inpatient.  My neighbor who is also a post op WLS 4 yrs told me that she noticed my shakes this morning.  She and I are struggling together.  She's been thru AA and it didn't help her although she has offered to go with me.
RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/3/09 9:44 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
in AA they have a saying...

KEEP COMING BACK..  but in your case.. YOU HAVE TO GET THERE FIRST.

Options are good..  you are just now beginning to awaken and realize (I believe) Step number one.  Now you will learn that you will have to go to any lengths to stay sober.  It's a learning process.. a journey that only YOU can take.. but you will have SOOOO MANY FRIENDS who will walk the path with you to help.. because they care.  But also, because that is what keeps them sober too.  It's good to reach out and ask.. and let others help.  Just keep an open mind and KEEP COMING BACK.. after YOU get there.

My ex took that RX (I beleive it was that one) and it helped when he used it along with AA.  Once he stopped going to meetings.. he would relapse.

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Patricia R.
on 1/3/09 10:09 pm - Perry, MI
There are a variety of treatment options.  I did not go inpatient, but did an intensive outpatient program at a rehab.  It involved going three nights a week.  I did that for five weeks, and now I go to a weekly group, once a week.  Most treatment programs, or rehabs, insist on attending AA meetings too.  Treatment does not cure a person, but educates on the disease of alcoholism, and helps a person see their need for the daily remedy, AA's 12 Steps. 

AA does not work if a person does not work the 12 steps and keep going to meetings.  Whenever I relapse it is because I stop working my program.  I could blame AA, but I am the one who stopped going to meetings and working the steps.  AA is not a cure, but a program of recovery.

If you have the shakes, you may need detoxing inpatient for a few days.  Detoxing without medical supervision is dangerous, and could be deadly.

Good luck,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 1/3/09 11:13 pm - Spicewood, TX
Paula:
I agree w/ Tricia on the detox issue. I have done it both ways - (Hate to admit have had to detox a number of times in the prior years....but such is the nature of addiction)
I know your concerns were about your children, but I can tell you during detox it is very hard to do much mothering. If you really don't want to do it inpatient - see if your doctor will give you some Ativan for the shakes/anxiety. And - find a friend who will check on you on a regular basis - if not stay at the house w/ you.
I did an out-patient program where I went 4 nights a week; however, this was after doing in-patient detox.
Good luck - we are all thinking of you.
Anne
LeaCali
on 1/4/09 12:51 am - Los Angeles, Ca
 I attended many AA meetings with friends in the past to support them, never thinking that addiction (other than food) was in my future.

I detoxed inpatient and with the round the clock strict schedule I grew appreciative and insightful of the 12 step program and process.  I learned that "my way" was not working nor going to work.  In my area there are so many outpatient programs that are intense as well.

The 12 step meetings work if you give your all, I never felt I belonged anywhere.  When I attend meetings I definitely belong.

Research what is available to you in your area, it will help.

I wish you luck, I had the morning shakes, could not even hold a pen if I missed one of my many pills of choice.  I got tired of counting my pills monthly, then weekly, daily and hourly.  I don't miss that

Keep on asking, you will find what will work for you. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views