Addiction

lexus601_00
on 12/16/08 12:10 am
Hello,

My name is Karen and I'm new to this forum.  I had my Gastric  ByPass Weight Loss Surgery, back in April, 2004, at the Barix Center in PA. Dr. Neil Marymor was my surgeon very FINE doctor.  Well since then life has been great. I lost over 80 pounds still struggling to lose the last 20 pounds.

Anyway, I had foot surgery done back in 2007. My doctor prescribe the painkiller VIODIN! I need help I can't seem to get off of this medication. It's like I take even when I'm not in pain. I don't like the feeling @ all. Could someone please give me some advice on what to do.

Regards,

Karen
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/08 2:37 am - LA
Hi Karen! I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through! I broke 18 bones last year. I've been on everykind of painkiller you can think of. You simply have to talk to your family/friends first, get a good support group at home. Get someone to go to the Dr. with you, and talk to him and address your concerns to him about you medication. See if he can put you on something not as strong. They even make stuff now that you dont have to take, like creams and patches, try seeing a pain managment Dr. if you still have really take the pain meds.

Hope this has been of SOME help to you! good luck!!
lexus601_00
on 12/16/08 10:38 pm

Thank you so much for your advise. Actually, I'm going to my primary physician office today. I will keep you posted!

Warmest Regards,

Karen
Patricia R.
on 12/16/08 9:34 am - Perry, MI
Hi Karen,
Welcome to the Mental Health Forum.  Don't you just love Dr. Marymor.  He was my surgeon two years ago for my open RNY, and then last year, he repaired a hernia. 

Anyway, I understand the chemical addiction to pain killers that occurs sometimes after serious surgery, or injury.  I have some friends who needed a 12 Step Program, like Narcotics Anonymous.  Recently, I went through an outpatient rehab program for my alcoholism, and met people who had serious back injuries and surgeries and were trying to get off the narcotics.  That is an option.  I live real close to Barix, and can recommend a rehab near here if that is necessary.

My first suggestion, though, is to talk to the prescribing doctor, and be gut level honest with him/her.  Also, speak with your primary doctor and be honest there as well.  Ask for help tapering off of the Vicoden, and/or downgrading it.  Vicodin is stronger than Tylenol with Codeine. 

You may, as mentioned previously, need to see a pain management doc as well. 

I can also recommend using visualization/relaxation exercises.  It helps to relax, and cope with cravings and urges to use.

If you feel so inclined, feel free to PM me. 

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

lexus601_00
on 12/16/08 10:41 pm

Thank you so much for responding. Basically, I'm a very '' shy" person, but I need to talk to somebody about this matter. Actually, I have a doctor's appt. Monday. Yes, Dr. Marymor is a CHARM! I will keep you posted on my journey to recovery.

Warmes Regards,

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views