I think I want to go back on Wellbutrin XR

Shelley L.
on 12/9/08 9:52 pm - overland park, KS

I went off of it about 2-3 weeks before surgery, had been on it, about a year. I saw my psychiatrist last week and at the time told her I really was doing well with my depression symptoms, didn't think I needed it and I was worried I shouldn't take it anywhere due to the malabsportion now with the extended release tablets. 

When I mentioned this she said she's had WLS clients take the XR and not have any difficulty (in other words they got the effects they needed. She recommended trying it if I needed it because she felt like it helped stabilze better. 

I don't really want to add another pill to my regimen, but I just think I can't work everyting out in my head. I have serious issues to need to resolve and I'm in therapy as well, but not being able to numb myself out with food is really messing with me.

Has anyone taking XR medicine and do ok with it? 

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

LeaCali
on 12/10/08 1:12 am - Los Angeles, Ca
 My psych changed me to Effexor XR from regular and it has been fine. That has been about 6 months.  But I am over 4 years out.  It is working fine.

Lea
natalie1975
on 12/10/08 11:47 am - Yardley, PA
I had been off and all Wellbutrin both before or after surgery and havent had any problems with it post-surgery. i am on a different med. combination now (i have a somewhat complicated case w/more than one diagnosis/different symptoms to address) so my psychiatrist and i have been trying different types/combinations of medication. Generally, I have been taking regular (instead of extended) release version of my meds post-surgery to avoid mal-absorbtion issues. Even w/regular release pills, I usually break them in 2 before swallowing to make sure they get absorbed properly.

With wellbutrin (if i remember correctly), they only had SR or XR available even in generic versions. I think, when on it, I went with the SR tablets and it was still effective (i was on 300mgs).

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

CherylR
on 12/17/08 7:32 am - Blue Springs, MO
Hi Shelly!
I take effexor XR and it absorbs just fine. Try asking one of the pharmacists at work to look it up int the big book they have down in the pharmacy. I had our Pharm D do that. She was able to tell me all sorts of things. Like, does it need the stomach acid to start dissolving it, does it need to go thru the duodenum. I learned that we can't just say that RNY pts can't take extended release. it depends on the extended release and how it is formulated.
Cheryl
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
SW--235  Low Weight--145  Goal Weight135
Regain of 20 pounds--Getting Back on track

Shelley L.
on 12/17/08 11:41 am - overland park, KS
thanks for the tip, I'll try that!  How are you, btw? 

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views