I have a question and really need an answer....

mzchelle73
on 11/28/08 9:43 am - Lawrenceville, GA
I would like to know how long before I can take a bath....Showers just are not cutting it anymore...  I am 2 weeks out and my butterflies have all fallen off and my wounds are scabed over.  Please let me know!

Thanks
Melissa
Patricia R.
on 11/28/08 10:47 pm - Perry, MI
I really can't answer that question.  It is best to ask your doctor who did your surgery.  As for hygiene in the hard to reach area, I hope I don't offend, but would a douche help?

Also, I used barbecue tongs with a washcloth to wash my privates post-op.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

mzchelle73
on 11/28/08 11:31 pm - Lawrenceville, GA
Patricia thanks so much....not having problems washing just wanted to soak and relax my aching back...

Melissa
Patricia R.
on 11/28/08 11:38 pm - Perry, MI
Melissa,
I hear you on the back pain.  That is from not being able to sleep comfortably, as well as getting up and down weird with the incisions. 

If you can't soak in a tub, you might try a heating pad. 

Good luck,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

mzchelle73
on 11/29/08 12:21 am - Lawrenceville, GA
Thank you for that I had not thought about a heating pad.....How long before I can sleep normally again?
Patricia R.
on 11/29/08 4:41 am - Perry, MI
I had open RNY, so my incision was all the way down my middle.  After a couple of weeks, I was able to at least roll over on my side.  It took a while longer before I could sleep freely, in any position.  I am not sure how it is for the Laproscopic patients, as the incisions are all over the abdomen.  Hopefully, someone can answer that, if it applies to you. 

Hopefully, you are getting enough liquid, and walking as much as you can. 

Good luck.  Hang in there.  Before you realize it, things will normalize, and your weight will be dropping off you like you never dreamed possible.

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 11/29/08 9:41 am, edited 11/29/08 9:42 am - So. Easton, MA
I forgot about the heating pad until Trish mentioned it!! :)  (Good call Trisherino!)  I had Lap RNY and slept comfortably a few weeks out, but getting up out of bed w/out help (and a crane) was about 3 weeks slowly, and 4 weeks w/no problem, no pain...just an easy roll. I did sleep once in the recliner and swore I'd not be doing THAT again. Taht was more uncomfy than I'd imagined. I'm a side sleeper, too, so that's a little easier than using core muscles to rise up with. Since those are compromised, (and throwing off the comforter was NO EASY feat, let me tell you!) the way I maneuvered was to roll slowly closer to the edge, let my knees dangle over the edge, and roll until I could use one arm as leverage to sit up. If you have help still it's easier because you've got support. If not, you need to get creative until you find what works for you. I sat with a heating pad on my lower back quite often until walking was allowed...that seemed to help me more than anything! A strong back will support your weakened core muscles in front.

You originally asked about baths (which I dont' like...give me a shower every time!), but I think Trish is on the money again...you should ask your surgeons office. Mine saw me and the state of my incisions before I got clearance. Give their office a call on Monday! :) Good luck!!

Hugs,
Marie

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views