ReVia (similar to Antabuse)

Carrie Stockwell
on 11/17/08 9:11 am - Dublin, CA
Here goes....

I have been drinking a bottle (or more) of wine every night for almost 3 years. Sometimes, I really crave it. Sometimes, I just really enjoy the feeling. Other times, I do it out of boredom and habit.  I have gone at the most 3 days without drinking. Tonight I'm on night 2. I have no desire at the moment. No wine in house, so all is good.

Anyway, I have been researching medications to curb the craving. Has anyone taken ReVia? From my findings I would like to try it more so than Antabuse.

Any input would be great.

Thanks.
Patricia R.
on 11/17/08 10:53 am - Perry, MI
Hi and Welcome,
Have you ever tried AA, or therapy?  Alcoholism is more complex than just a pill can fix it.  It is a complex biopsychosocial disease.  All three components should be addressed to put it into remission.  A pill to curb cravings just takes care of the biology of the problem, it does not address the psychological disorder that is contributing to the drinking behaviors, or the social aspect of the disease.  Plus, for many in AA, and other recovery programs, there is a spiritual component to the disease and its recovery.

That said, I am not familiar with ReVia.  I have taken Naltrexone for my eating disorder, which has been used to help alcoholics. 

What has helped me in the past, and is currently helping me today, is that I just completed an Intensive Outpatient Program, individual psychotherapy, participation in Alcoholics Anonymous and accountability to a sponsor. 

Good luck,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 11/17/08 10:45 pm - Spicewood, TX
Carrie - I have not heard of ReVia - so obviously not used it.
I did use Antabuse for a while last year and it did not work for me. The psych told me he figured it was due to the gastric bypass not absorbing it properly. (THe only thing that happened if I drank on it was I got a rash - none of the violent nausea, etc.)
I would double check and make sure ReVia is not the same chemical compound - one of the things the pharmacetical companies do is once a drug loses it's patent (after 5 years - and Antabuse has been out for many years) they will fiddle a little w/ the chemical compound, rename the drug, and get a new patent....A patented drug can not be made into a generic - thus lots more cost....
Good luck.
(I finally had to do the AA route - my ulcers won't allow many medications and my ulcers - which I nearly bled to death from - are the result of my drinking)
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views