Cross Addiction Resources (alcohol) ?

TropiGal R.
on 11/17/08 2:29 am - Milwaukee, WI
Hi all,
I am new to this forum.  I have come to realize that I am abusing alcohol-pretty badly.  My husband and extended family are getting very concerned-and I am scared to death.

I am looking for resources (books, support groups, etc) for people with the same problem.

I do not want to go to an inpatient clinic-I had cancer this past year and the thought of another hospital stay makes me feel sick (no pun intended).

I am the kind of person who believes knowledge is power-and want to learn as much as I can about the disease.  I am also looking for a new phsychiatrist in my area.  He must be cognitive/behavioral.  My last therapist moved to Texas two years ago-and I miss him very much.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for your support!!!!

Lisa R.

Patricia R.
on 11/17/08 7:06 am - Perry, MI
Hi and Welcome,
There are a lot of different resources available for alcoholism.  I started with individual psychotherapy with a licensed psychologist, who is CBT oriented.  He then referred me for a psychiatric evaluation, where I receive my meds.  I see both the psychiatrist and the psychologist.  I also attend AA meetings, have been doing so for nineteen years.  (Wish I had that much clean/sober time, but life is what it is.) 

Most recently, I am receiving outpatient treatment for my alcoholism.  If going inpatient is not an option for you, there are Intensive Outpatient Programs.  Most inpatient facilities can refer you to an outpatient program.  Some have their own.  I just finished my IOP program, which met three times a week for lecture and group therapy..  Now, I am beginning once a week group therapy sessions at the same facility. 

I suggest you try attending a few AA meetings for now, and research your options concerning outpatient treatment.  Your family doctor may be able to refer you to a facility near you.  Most insurance should pay for some level of care at such facilities.

Good luck.
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 11/17/08 10:48 pm - Spicewood, TX
I agree w/ Trish - but wanted to add a couple of things...

Find some books about cross-addiction - they help open your eyes.
Read Healing the Inner Child -

If you go to an AA meeting and HATE it - find a different one to go to and keep trying. Sometimes you ahve to try a few different ones to find one you can relate to. The first one I went to was all well to do women and I could not relate at all. I then went to one in a small town near us and it was all old men.....Then I went to one at my church and found a connection.
Once you find an AA meeting - you can ask about therapists. YOu might also consider calling your wls surgeon office and ask them if they can recommend one.

Good Luck.
Anne
rhett3147
on 2/9/09 1:44 am - valdosta, GA
check out my profile and it has some of my story about my battle with cross addiction. if you pm me or add me as a friend i will send you some info that is all about this subject and gastric bypass. in my profile i didn't get into the struggle i went through with alcohol. its not easy. most people have to hit the depths of hell to move past it. you have to go through the storm before you see the light. i have been though inpatient rehab as well as out. you have to be willing to do anything to quit. i lost my marriage my job and almost my life before i could do it and i still struggle. only you know the answer to this if you are at the point were you get the shakes in the morning and you have to drink to stop it then it is very dangerous to quit on your own. DTs can be very dangerous and in rehab they give you meds to ease them so there not dangerous. hope to hear from you.

Rhett
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views