Pain

Patricia R.
on 11/13/08 10:09 am - Perry, MI
Hi There,
I am struggling tonight with physical pain of the most extreme ever.  It has been going on for about a week.  It is in my joints, and last night it was so bad, I did not sleep much.  Every time I moved, I cried out. 

Here is where it gets more complicated.  My doctor prescribed Ibuprofen for me,  The Tylenol was not cutting it at all.  Moreover, he ordered blood work to see if I have lupus or lymes disease. 

So, I am just sitting here, in tears and in pain.  I don't want to wreck my pouch with the Ibuprofen, but I also don't want to ask for narcotics. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 11/13/08 10:36 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Trish,

I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I hope you can find out what's going on. I can totally relate to not wanting to take narcotics for pain no matter how bad it is. I was talking to a g/f last night whose SO is in recovery too. I really think there's a certain amount of paranoia that goes along with sobriety! Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Hugs,
Marie

Patricia R.
on 11/14/08 11:05 am - Perry, MI
Thanks Marie,
Just knowing you are here for me makes a world of difference.  I might call you over the weekend just to chat. 

Huggles,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 11/14/08 9:22 pm - So. Easton, MA
That sounds great!  I'll be in temple most of the daySaturday with the phone off ****i around 2) and then sunday morning until noon for classes! :) HUGS!!

meloh
on 11/13/08 1:43 pm - MN
I take Ibuprofen every once in a while when I have back pain that Tylenol won't touch. I just make sure to eat a little something right after I take it. I think our pouches will be ok if we don't take it very often.

Also, I know there a pain reliever that is similar to ibuprofen that you can get as an injection at the doctor, I just can't remember what it is called. It was given to me for a headache and the doctor described it as being like ibuprofen, only stronger. I know it wasn't a narcotic. Sorry, I can't think of the name..

I hope you feel better soon!

Melanie
Patricia R.
on 11/14/08 11:06 am - Perry, MI
I appreciate the support, Melanie.  I did take the Ibuprofen and feel better, though not totally well.  Any improvement is great in my mind.

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

natalie1975
on 11/14/08 12:08 am - Yardley, PA
Dear Trish,

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I'm by no means a medical expert but just wanted to share a few things that may be helpful.

1. IBPROFEN--i actually use it fairly regularly for muscle/joint pain as well as for menstrual cramps with my biriatric surgeon's blessing. Apparently, he actually recommends it over tylenol for post-ops once you are 6 or more months out (i checked with him beforehand). i also checked with my general physician and (even) with my psychiatrist (that was mostly to make sure it is o.k. to take with my other meds.) i am aware that there are perceptions/opinions that ibprofen in a no-no for post-ops but apparently it's a theory and not a consensus and many doctors disagree. i had been using Advil and other forms of ibprofen for over a year now and never once had an adverse effect to it. My pouch is fine. Again, I know it is a controversial issue but you may want to consider trying it and, if you experience any discomfort, you can always stop.

2. Lupus--believe or not, I recently (as in this months) had a Lupus scare myself --a typical butterfly rush and all. Did a lot of research, was crying and scared, went on a drinking binge and threw a pity party. Had the tests done--turned out to be atopic dermatitis (which is a relatively harmless skin condition, which cleared up w/topical creme). I hope yours turns out to be a false alarm as well...please keep us updated.

3. Totally unrelated but since you took so much time to talk to me on the phone and provide much needed support and kick in the butt for me, I just wanted to let you know i'm not writing this in a drunken stupor. Today is my day 3 completely sober (i know it's nothing but it;s a first step for me. More importantly, i came clean with my psychiatrist and am getting help. I need a few more days before i'm emotionally ready for AA (some type of an irrational fear/embarrasement) but that's something i definitely want to give a try. i know you have your own journey with the part-time rehab program you are about to graduate and please know that i admire and support you. thank you again for everything.

please feel better,
love, nat

Patricia R.
on 11/14/08 11:11 am - Perry, MI
Thanks for the encouragement.  I am better than I was yesterday, though not as good as I would like yet. 

Congrats on your sobriety.  3 days is terrific, don't sell yourself short.  Being able to go for 24 hours is a miracle to any and all alcoholics trying to quit drinking. 

I understand your fear of AA.  I had it terribly at one point.  As for embarassment, everyone at a Closed AA meeting is just like you.  They understand and can identify with your pain and confusion, because they all felt that way at one point. 

Congrats on being honest with your psychiatrist.  That is so important.  He/she cannot help you without knowing the full extent of your problem.  That would be like a surgeon doing exploratory surgery without knowing what part of the body is hurting. 

Hangin there.

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

DarDar
on 11/14/08 3:12 am - exton, PA
Trish,

You poor thing...I feel so sorry for you.  I will light a candle for you tonight. If it were me I would try the Ibuprofen with some food.

Please keep us updated.

DarDar
339/197/124 (yeah...right)
Patricia R.
on 11/14/08 11:13 am - Perry, MI
I really appreciate your support and encouragement Darlene.  It has been one wild ride this year.  I hope to get my blood test results back Monday.  I hate how lousy I feel, but there is improvement.  In fact, I felt well enough to go to my church and help out with a work night for about an hour this evening.  I did not do much, but it felt good to socialize and get dirty for the Lord a bit.

Have a terrific weekend.

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views