help and confussion

mzchelle73
on 11/11/08 4:38 am - Lawrenceville, GA
I have a friend that had surgery a little over 2 years ago and she is now addicted to alcohol....I am having my surgery this friday and am worried that I may end up the same way even though I sware I will never drink again.  Any advice to A)help her and B)make sure I don't follow in her footsteps?
Patricia R.
on 11/11/08 11:16 am - Perry, MI

I can only share what has helped me.  I was in therapy for my eating disorder and alcoholism long before I had my surgery.  It has helped me identify a lot of the childhood issues and behaviors as well as learn coping skills to deal with negative thinking and urges to eat and drink.  I also particpate in Alcoholics Anonymous, which I believe is absolutely necessary for anyone who wishes to be successful in recovery from alcoholism. 

Have your friend contact AA and get to some meetings.  I also suggest that both of you start individual psychotherapy to deal with the emotions and thoughts that lead up to overeating and possible drinking.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

DarDar
on 11/12/08 3:08 am - exton, PA

I agree with Trish, but my suggestion would be for your friend to go to AA....if they 'think' they have a problem.  They, may not be ready to give it up.  My suggestion for you would be to go to Al-Anon meetings. I stopped drinking about 6 months before my surgery. I continue to go to AA.  I depend on this to keep me sober.  Smart of you to think of this issue before surgery.

339/197/124 (yeah...right)
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 772 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 996 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1704 views