IOP Quandary

Patricia R.
on 11/2/08 10:24 am - Perry, MI
I have a few quandaries concerning my IOP.  They are not major, but just puzzling enough to make me crazy, as it does not take much to do that these days.

First, I am concerned because I am having dental work on Monday, and my anxiety is just the worst.  My dentist gives nitrous oxide to patients who wish to use it.  I looked it up on the Internet, and it is considered anasthesia.  I hope it does not cause me any problems with my IOP.

Second, my IOP counselor keeps pushing the idea of "Sober Socializing" on us.  What she means by that is the  idea of going for coffee after meetings, and socializing with AA people in the program on an ongoing basis.  I have been in AA for nineteen years, and I have to admit that I rarely socialize with people in the program.  It is not a matter of not wanting ot, but really not making the time to get to know the people in the rooms and go out with them. 

As I thought about it, I realized that I have little to no time to add to my schedule at this time.  I work two jobs.  I have a ton of friends in my church that do not drink, and I participate in a lot of social activities with my church family, like Bible studies, and picnics, and dinner, and Growth Groups.  I also participate in two knitting socials that take up three nights a month.  When, if at all, would I have time to go out and socialize with people in the program. 

I do not want to rebel against the counsel of my IOP therapist.  I just am concerned about how to heed her advice given my crazy schedule. 

So, I am not sure what I should do.  It has really eaten me up this past weekend.

I finally got my butt to a meeting this morning.  Then, I went to work.  I must make two more meetings this week, in order to comply with the IOP requirements. 

I just had to vent a little in order to sort this out.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

wlsurvivor
on 11/3/08 12:40 am - Marshall, VA
Trish,
I am sure you have heard this before, but I am going to play the devil's advocate because I care.  I have read your posts often and one thing is very clear to me as a reader looking in. 

Obviously what you WERE doing in the past wasn't working.  We alcoholics tend to keep repeating the same behavior and expect a different result.  That's the insantiy of alcoholism.  AA is about CHANGE and changing our behavior so we get different results.  You must be WILLING, from the bottom of your soul, to go to ANY lengths to get sober.    Putting parades, church, church social activities and all sorts of other "must" do responsbilities before your sobriety will only get you drunk.  Your IOP requirements are there to help you go to any lengths but in the end, only YOU can make that happen.  I am not judging you only trying to help you sort out your priorities.  Only YOU make your schedule crazy.  Change unscrambles the sanity.

Wishing you peace and lasting sobriety,
Karen
Patricia R.
on 11/3/08 5:25 am - Perry, MI
Thank you for your support.  I did not put a parade before my sobriety.  I took a day off from work to attend that parade, and it was a special family time for my son and I to celebrate both the Phillies and my birthday together.  He also took me to dinner that evening for my birthday.  He does not live near me, so I will always take time to visit with my kids when they come to town. 

I am really giving this whole thing a lot of thought and hope to discuss it with my IOP therapist tonight.

Thanks,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

DarDar
on 11/3/08 3:46 am - exton, PA
Trish,

Looks like you have a lot on your plate already. BTW, I'm glad that you made the time to go to the Phyllies parade. It was a once in a life time event...and you deserved to go. When I first got back into the program, I kept up my country music concerts...yes there were drunks there, but like you and your Phyllies parade, I look at it differently now. Good, they can drink, but not me. I still go to concerts, I just go with people that don't drink. Now, as far as what your IOP wants you to do...wonder if one of your church friends would count...maybe not. I find that spending time with 'like' minded people is very good for me. I give people in the program permission to teach and guide me. This can only be brought out in one-on-one conversations. I used to meet someone 2 or 3 times a week. Now that I have two jobs, and workout in the gym 5 times a week, I'm down to one night. We usually go someplace cheap...even McDonalds. I get a salad from the $1 menu, or if I'm feeling real hungry I will get a kids meal--get apple slices instead of fries and I'm a happy gal. BTW, if you order a CC cup for water they will take off another $1 off the kids meal. Fitting in time for another AA person will work...just look around the rooms...BTW, can you meet with your sponsor?

339/197/124 (yeah...right)
Patricia R.
on 11/3/08 11:09 am - Perry, MI
Thanks Darlene,
I had hoped to talk about my concern in group tonight, but things got kind of crazy because they ran urines on everyone in the facility because someone smelled marijuana outside in the parking lot right before IOP.  There were a few hot urines and it created a problem for group.  I was clean, but one of my group members had used and the focus of group was on her for most of the evening.

Thanks for the love and support.

Huggles,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

LeaCali
on 11/3/08 9:20 am - Los Angeles, Ca
Hi,
It is obvious you are diligently trying to work the program you are in.  Kudos!!

I am recently out of detox, 7 meetings a day etc.  And I would interpret to mean the answer to your question as non drinking related activities, I would certainly include Church and church activities is there is no drinking involved. They laid it out as concentrating on activities that don't included drinking not necessarily with others in the program

I have a fear that if I were to socialize with people in the program, it seems to always get around to using in our conversations, and if one of us falls or wants to indulge it may be easier to fall with another person.

Just my thoughts 
Patricia R.
on 11/3/08 11:13 am - Perry, MI
I appreciate your support.  Congratulations on your recovery.  You are working a good program so far.  

As far as socializing with people in program who may use, be sure to hang around people who have long term clean time.  The more clean time a person has usually means that they are working their program, and more interested in recovery than using. 

Hang in there.

Hugs,
trish
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views