Antabuse

matt
on 10/28/08 10:00 pm - fairfield, CA
My doctor gave me perscription for this and I will start taking it tonight I know it will make you sick if you drink but what side affects other than that are there?
Curious G.
on 10/29/08 12:06 am - Peachtree City, GA
You also need to be careful of food, medicines and other things you may come in contact with that have alcohol.  That and more info can be found here:  http://www.drugs.com/antabuse.html

What are the possible side effects of Antabuse?

Severe and sometimes fatal liver problems have occurred in patients taking Antabuse even without a prior history of liver problems.

If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking Antabuse and seek emergency medical attention:
  • an allergic reaction (swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; shortness of breath; closing of your throat; or hives);

• seizures;

• extreme tiredness;

• dark urine;

• yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice);

• large appetite changes;

• weakness, dizziness or loss of coordination; or

• severe diarrhea or vomiting.

Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take Antabuse and talk to your doctor if you experience

• skin rash or acne;

• mild headaches;

• mild drowsiness or tiredness;

• impotence;

• metallic taste in the mouth; or

• swollen or sore tongue.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Lalocaweta
on 10/29/08 7:39 am - Spicewood, TX
I took it for about 3 months....was tired ALL the time (more so that normal....)

I got a horrible rash that looked like sunburn.....

And I was able to drink on it.....My PCP took me off of it (I had it prescribed to me in rehab when I was drying out....) He was too concerned about the impact on my liver since it was all ready compromised due to the alcohol.
I wish you luck with it - please give it a shot....But don't just use that - you have to have a 12 step program and a therapist too!!!
matt
on 10/29/08 10:39 am - fairfield, CA
Thanks for the info. I have had a high liver count for many years and I was worried about side affects. The doctor I went to was new to me since my insurance changed. He was not verry nice about the whole thing and didnt want to give me anything to help. He wanted to pu**** of onto a tharapest which I dont have yet. He didnt like the idea of me having had RNY either . this was the first time I ever went for help and it was very uncomfortable to be recieved so coldly.
slimMNmom
on 10/29/08 11:00 am - MN
I don't have any personal experience with Antabuse, but I have a dear friend (now sober 5 years!!) who took it and after 1 day on it thought he might be able to "have just one".  He said later he thought that maybe it was all hype and he had to find out for himself...but in a nutshell he was sooo sick.  He said he was in the bathroom, sick immediately, and he laid by the toilet all night long. He wanted to call 911 because he thought he was dying but couldn't get off the floor.  Scary, but effective.  But the downside is he just quit taking it.  So I think it is all about how committed one is and respect the medication and its purpose.  It works!  Lorraine

+++++
SlimMNmom
matt
on 10/29/08 12:58 pm - fairfield, CA
Found a  mental health doctor to see on monday  hopefully it works out. Thanks for the input
SDmovergal
on 10/29/08 1:02 pm - San Diego, CA
i have been on antabuse for a year now, and i have had no side-effects.   i take it with the rest of my pills and vitamins in the am and really don't even think about it anymore.   One evening we attended a party and i had a shrimp dish that was in butter and garlic.    I didn't know it, but it was also loaded with wine (equal butter and wine) - and boy i thought i was going to lose it.  i couldn't figure out what happened at first, but after i had a bout of feeling like i was going to be sick, i sat down for a while, and overheard the hostess telling someone what the dishes were and what they had in them.  So, from now on, i ask when in doubt.  i have found that i can havr some items that are cooked with a bit of wine for flavoring, so long as they have cooked for a while and the alcohol has cooked out. My husband likes to cook meat in a crock pot with beer and even marinates steak in beer - and i've had no problem with that.

I thought of going off it, but i guess for now, i will stay on it.  It is that extra crutch i need, especially when i travel by myself and when i am in social situations where "everyone" is drinking.
Best of luck in your journey,
Barbara
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views