Questions for you?

number7
on 10/22/08 9:59 pm - Small Town, MI
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and came to this message board to seek some answers I thought you would  know about. I have being drinking 2-3 drinks most nights sometimes more on the weekends. I haven't increased my alcohol consumption since I've had my surgery its actually less then pre surgery. I was wondering  why this harder on my liver now then before surgery? I read where everyone says it is and was wondering why. Also do you think that this is too much for me to be drinking?
jnadreau
on 10/23/08 4:35 am - Mountlake Terrace, WA
Because our stomachs are much smaller, the alcohol passes right into the small intestine after a short stay in the smaller pouch.  Which means you get drunk quicker on way less alcohol.  The liver has to work extra hard to metabolize the alcohol.  Therefore you stay drunk longer.

I think you are drinking too much as a post-op.  This concern is two-fold.  The first concern is the effect on your liver.  The second is that you are now at greater risk for developing alcoholism, not to mention the risks you take when you get behind the wheel after drinking.

I thouht this was an interesting article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614132754.ht m

It mentions also that WLS patients tend to eat more after drinking alcohol because the stomach & esophagus relax more.  The empty calories from alcohol plus the extra calories from more food are actually defeating the surgery.

If you think you have a problem with alcohol, there is lots of help out there.  www.aa.org (AA website) can help.  Or talk to your doctor or therapist.  Ask yourself some honest questions.  Do YOU think you drink too much?  If you suspect your answer may be yes, you probably do.

Patricia R.
on 10/23/08 7:07 am - Perry, MI

In addition to the problem of metabolizing the alcohol faster, due to the smaller pouch and instestines, there is the stress that the liver has to endure during the rapid weight loss immediately after surgery.  When we lose the weight quickly, as in the first year, that puts strain on the liver.  Adding alcohol to that is dangerous.

You really need to talk to a doctor or therapist about your drinking this early out of surgery.  Also, contact AA if you need help.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views