so what the hell is this thing about being completely sober anyway?

natalie1975
on 10/22/08 6:21 am - Yardley, PA
can't we just ;earn to maintain a little bit of alcohol in our systems combined with clonopin (in my case, it's  a benzo, similar but less strong than xanax and valium)) to take the edge off??

in a way that only applies to my fellow over-educated bipolar/borderline, etc. eating disorder people who need a friend right now because they are not used to not working:
love, nat

Patricia R.
on 10/22/08 6:51 am - Perry, MI
Hi Natalie,
Benzos are not recommended for people with alcohol addiction, or any other drug addiction.  They are addictive, just like narcotics.  To combine them with alcohol could cause serious health complications.  I would discuss the use of Klonopin and alcohol together with the prescribing doctor. 

Sobriety is the total abstinence from alcohol and other substances unless prescribed by a psychiatrist or doctor knowledgeable of my alcoholism.  My psychiatrist will never allow me to take benzos.  Most knowledgable of alcoholism will not prescribe benzos for people with alcoholism or drug addiction problems.  They also advise against their use.

You have to decide what you want.  If you want a life that is free from the guilt, shame and remorse that goes with alcoholism, you can find that in recovery.  Recovery is possible.  You can learn more by attending AA, or calling those agencies I told you about in a previous post.

Take care. 
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

natalie1975
on 10/22/08 11:25 am - Yardley, PA
Trish,

sorry if anything in my post offended you. in my case, the medication i take is presecribed by a very reputable and experienced psychiatrist. i do, have to admit, however, that i'm yet to tell him that my "occasional glass of wine with dinner" (my quote to him) have become more than a glass and more than occasional.

i will look into the resources you so kindly offered in your last e-mail. unfortunately, i temporarily don't have a car, which makes it hard to get around but i'll find a way.

love, nat

Patricia R.
on 10/22/08 12:44 pm - Perry, MI
nat,
You did not offend me at all.  I am concerned for you. 

I am sure your psychiatrist is reputable, and is unaware of your current struggles with the alcohol.  I think you should call him tomorrow and be totally honest with him and tell him what is going on.  Ask him for help.  That is what he is qualified to do, help you deal with an addiction problem by adjusting your medications and seeing if you need inpatient rehab, or outpatient help.  Call him Thursday and tell him what is going on.  It is your life we are talking about here. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

AMY_AKA_HOTTMAMM
A

on 10/22/08 10:42 pm
Why the hell can't I drink alcohol. I loved beer. I got drunk as **** the night before my bypass. I have tried beer 4 times in the last 3 years and can't drink it. No kind of alcohol. Makes me throw up after about 3 sips. This sucks. I want beer so bad. I told my kids last night I wish I could drink again.

Amy
jnadreau
on 10/23/08 4:16 am - Mountlake Terrace, WA
No offense, but be thankful that you hurl after 3 sips.  Not only will you not develop a transfer addiction, but your liver will thank you many times over.

sugarbareh
on 11/12/08 11:28 pm - Pensacola, FL
Hi Amy,
I wish I couldn't drink beer!
I'm almost 3 years post op gastric bypass.
About  5 months ago I had a beer. I really never cared for beer before.
Now the beer has me and I'm scared. I'm up to 5 a night.
And I've gained back 14 pounds. After loosing 137.
My husband is scared for me too. I have a wonderful family. I do not want to get sucked into this hole I seem to find myself getting in to.
I'm gonna try hard not to drink beer tonight. It's not worth the pain I'm causing for a little buzz.
Be greatful you can't drink. Hugg your kids and may life be good to you,
Karen
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views