2nd Night at IOP

Patricia R.
on 10/15/08 11:06 am - Perry, MI
Well, tonight was my second night, and I feel a whole lot better.  The group is terrific.  The guy that was sent home on Monday came back.  The lecture portion was a speaker from AA, who was terrific.  He shot from the hip, and spoke plainly about how bad his addiction and alcoholism got. 

We did a motivation exercise where she asked us to draw or write what our motivation in recovery is.  She explained how many programs offer art or music therapy, and that helps so much, but our program does not offer it.  I thought about my motivation, which I had forgotten in my relapse.  I drew a cross, for my faith, a set of barbells for strength, and a shield for courage.  I explained that was the legacy I want to leave my grandchildren.  She asked me about my shield, what was it protecting me from.  I thought for a second and said, "Myself."  She clarified that I was protecting myself from my self-destructive behaviors.  I nodded my head. 

I like this therapist a lot.  She arranged for us to get out of group early because the Phillies game starts before group usually ends, and we could end up going to the World Series after tonight. 

I did have to call her yesterday because Monday she mentioned calling my family contact person to ask about my progress in IOP, and it did not register until later that night.  I realized that I am not ready for my family to know about my relapse and my participation in the program.  She called me back today and mentioned that I did sign the release, which I did not remember doing.  Later I did remember it.  I feel so stupid.  Anyway, I am just relieved I caught it before she had called my contact person.  She will be calling my family doctor, my therapist and my psychiatrist, which is fine.  The last two already know I am in treatment.  My family doctor knows I am an alcoholic and he knows I had the relapse up until June, so it's no biggie if he knows about my relapse and treatment.

Anywho, the Phillies are on, and I do have my priorities right now.

Love you all,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

natalie1975
on 10/16/08 2:07 am - Yardley, PA
Trish,

I am so glad you had a positive experience. Also, I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart that you took the time to speak to me the other day. I'm very sorry if I kept rambling on.

Thanks again,

Natalie

Patricia R.
on 10/16/08 2:34 am - Perry, MI
 No apology necessary.  Helping you helped me.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

DarDar
on 10/16/08 5:13 am - exton, PA
Humm, that therapest you have sounds cool. I thought about what I might draw....my mind is blank....was there a time limit to come up with something...also I don't draw well.  I'm glad you in a better place.

PS did you get your package?
339/197/124 (yeah...right)
Patricia R.
on 10/16/08 6:35 am - Perry, MI
Oh my gosh.  I was so sick when the package came in, I completely forgot to thank you.  Please forgive me.  I did get it and it is fantastic.  I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Art skills were not a requirement for this activity last night, and there was a time limit.  Fortunately, I already knew what I had as my primary motivation for my recovery.  I have secondary motivations, but my legacy has been my primary for months.  I just lost it a few weeks ago.

Thanks again.

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

DarDar
on 10/17/08 1:22 am - exton, PA
Cool! Glad you got it....now focus on yourself.  You have my number if you want to call.  I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

DarDar
339/197/124 (yeah...right)
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views