IOP

Patricia R.
on 10/13/08 7:23 pm - Perry, MI
Hi There,
I started my IOP program last night.  I was nervous.  There was another new guy there so the therapist decided to do the intake with both of us at the same time.  When we got back to her office, she said she smelled alcohol.  I said, I had not had a drink since Wednesday.  She asked if she could do a breathalyzer.  I said yes.  The guy said yes.  He denied drinking.  She kept insisting that one of us had been drinking.  I was getting upset.  I insisted I had not had a drink since Wednesday and I would take the breathalyzer.  Finally the guy said he had a shot of whiskey that afternoon. She told him he could not start IOP because he had been drinking.  He had just come out of detox, and had been to rehab before.  He knew the drill, but drank anyway.  She sent him home with instructions to call if he drinks before Wednesdays group. 

I was accepted warmly by the group, and it was a good group.  We talked about motivation.  The lecture before the group was on the brain, and then we did some relaxation exercises which I liked. 

I will keep you posted.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 10/13/08 9:42 pm - So. Easton, MA
This is all new to me. I've never gone through formal meetings when I stopped, so this is like a foreign language for me.  Do they all take a tough love approach? I'm totally out of my element here, so forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions. I don't mean to offend or insult! He's there to stop...why did she turn him away? (or was it that she could sense he was playing the program?)
Either way, I'm glad you were welcomed warmly! That must've gone a  long way to quiet your anxiety over this! I hope you get out of this what you need!! :) 

Love,
Marie

Patricia R.
on 10/14/08 2:28 am - Perry, MI
 Hi Marie,
I understand your concerns, but in treatment programs there is a great danger if someone is high or drunk it being a trigger for people who are there trying to get and stay sober,  Therefore, they insist that people arrive clean and sober to program.  Also, they  commit to staying sober while they are participating in the program.  

I hope that makes sense.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 10/14/08 7:07 am - So. Easton, MA
Yeah, it makes perfect sense. I never went through this program or ones like it, so I was unaware they're as "all business" as they are. Make sense to be that stringent though. Why risk everyone else's sobriety for one person who doesn't really want it yet?

Xoxox and I'm glad it's working for you!!
Marie

Patricia R.
on 10/14/08 7:16 am - Perry, MI
Hi Marie,
In my 19 years in AA, I have never been to a treatment program before either.  They are very no-nonsense with this stuff.  She told this guy a few things because he had already been to rehab before and had just gotten out of detox.  He had been in AA and had years of sobriety at one time too.  So, he knew the ropes of rehab/treatment.  She also pointed out that I was there, and that he was endangering my sobriety by coming in drunk, and not being honest with her when she asked if one of us had been drinking.  He took about ten minutes before he was honest with her. 

I am exhausted today.  Long day yesterday, and my Phillies are only one game away from the World Series.

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Amy..aka..hottmom
ma

on 10/13/08 11:32 pm
I am glad you enjoyed it. It sure does sound like you have your ducks in a row. lol...I am so glad you stood up for yourself. That stinking man was going to let you take the fall for him. He should be ashamed of himself.

Amy
Kitty Kat
on 10/13/08 11:38 pm - Richmond, VA
Glad to hear it Trish. I've gotten sober with self will, determination, fam & friends after weeding my garden. I've not attended but a few meetings and never rehab. However, in all the research I've done and am doing on addiction(s) what your therapist did is what I see many do when they get any instincts someone isn't ready to draw their line in the sand and say ENOUGH and get the help they want/need. Glad you were accepted warmly by the group. Chin up and prayers coming your way for continued sobriety/success.

Hugs.......

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

jnadreau
on 10/14/08 3:28 am - Mountlake Terrace, WA
Hi Trish -

I'm glad your first IOP session went well and that you were welcomed warmly.  I guess that guy isn't done yet, is he?

Jeanne

DarDar
on 10/15/08 4:35 am - exton, PA

Trish,

You have always been someone that I have looked up to on this forum. I know we have never met, but I think the world of you. You have ALWAYS had helpful advice.

Getting on in your IOP group is very important. I'm glad you are taking great measures in taking care of yourself. I see your picture with your little grand baby....I know she appreciates it too.

Keep posting we care about you.

339/197/124 (yeah...right)
Patricia R.
on 10/15/08 6:43 am - Perry, MI
Dar,
That little munchkin is my driving force behind my sobriety.  She is not the only motivation, but she puts a face on why I want to get and stay sober.  I want her to have a living, fun grandmother to grow up with and tell her grandchildren about.  I want the legacy I leave to be one of faith and courage, not drunkenness and insanity. 

I appreciate your kind words.  I am just a human being trying to make it through life, one day at a time.  Sometimes I succeed at Life 101, and pass it with flying colors.  Sometimes, I fail the course and have to take it over.  As long as I have breath in me, I will keep trying. 

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views