Very hopeless and guilty about feeling that way

devilblkdress
on 10/13/08 2:30 am - NC
Okay so here it goes....
I'm depressed. Severely depressed. I am 5 months post op. It started sporatically but now it's constant. I finally called my bariatric program and talked to their psych. She put me on Zoloft and gave me a referral to psych. It's been 2 wks and I have only gotten worse.
My life is better now than it has ever been. I remarried the love of my life last year. I have my daughters back. For the first time in my life I don't have to work so I was able to go back to school. My health is in an upward slant. With the exception of my husband being deployed things should be good.
But I am miserable. I hate the way I look. I am scattered and can't focus. I can't sleep or sleep too much. I'm avoiding friends and family. I'm not being the attentive mom that I want to be. I'm screwing up with college. I have no desire to do anything.
I have a history of depression but NEVER has it been like this and at those times my life was completely horrible. I don't know what to do
Patricia R.
on 10/13/08 3:29 am - Perry, MI
Have you tried psychotherapy?  Have you made the appointment with the psychiatrist you were referred to by your bariatric psychiatrist?  I recommend you do both. 

Making the dietary and lifestyle changes that are necessary to live iwth bariatric surgery often causes emotional changes as well.  A good therapist can help with that adjustment.  Also, you may need the medication increased or changed.  I had been on Zoloft for years and it worked great, then one year, it stopped working as effectively as it had been and I need to switch. 

I see a psychiatrist and a psychologist on a regular basis, and find both invaluable.

Good luck.  If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

jnadreau
on 10/13/08 6:57 am - Mountlake Terrace, WA
My depression has gotten worse since surgery.  It's because of all the emotional adjustments we go thru without the food as a safety net.

Maybe you need to try a different antidepressant?  Sometimes they take a few weeks to kick in.  Make an appointment with the therapist that was recommended to you.  It will take some time, but eventually you will see improvement as you learn new coping skills.  It also takes a while to find the right medication and the right dosage that works for you.  Keep working with your therapist and tell him/her what meds you're on and what dosage, and that you don't think they're workikng.  The therapist should be able to make recommendations on different courses of antidepressants.

I think the most important thing right now is to get you stabilized on the right antidepressant at the right dosage for you.  Don't give up on this until you feel it start to work for you.  You usually have to stay on the same med for 2-3 weeks to allow it to properly interact with your particular brain chemistry.

Amy..aka..hottmom
ma

on 10/13/08 11:40 pm
antidepressants makes me feel worse. My phych doctor want put me back on them. She has me on mode stableizers. My mind had got so bad I had to stop working. I had no wants in life. I just wanted to cover up my head and stay there to the end. But I have 2 Children that are about grown. 17 and 22 but they are my best friends. I got to do better for them and me. I hope you feel better soon. There is alot of people that suffer from depression and it is a ugly thing. I was put in hand cuffs at my phych's office and sent to the phych floor at the hospital.

Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views