Taking Responsibility

Patricia R.
on 10/11/08 9:07 am - Perry, MI
It seems that when I take responsibility for my recovery, I do well.  When I project responsibility for my happiness and well-being onto others, I sink into relapse.  Last night, I got reminded of this fact at my therapist's.  I had been denying responsibility for my behavior, and playing the victim role, something I do unconciously when I relapse.  Then, I played the denial game about going to meetings and needing treatment. 

So, today, I went to a meeting.  I was so tempted to not go, but I realized that if I want to get better, I had better start doing things I really don't want to do, like go to meetings and get honest about where I am at.

The meetings was on AA's first step, and I was the first to share.  I spilled my guts about my relapse, and felt a whole lot better about it.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 10/11/08 12:03 pm - So. Easton, MA
On October 11, 2008 at 4:07 PM Pacific Time, Patricia R. wrote:
It seems that when I take responsibility for my recovery, I do well.  When I project responsibility for my happiness and well-being onto others, I sink into relapse.  Last night, I got reminded of this fact at my therapist's.  I had been denying responsibility for my behavior, and playing the victim role, something I do unconciously when I relapse.  Then, I played the denial game about going to meetings and needing treatment. 

So, today, I went to a meeting.  I was so tempted to not go, but I realized that if I want to get better, I had better start doing things I really don't want to do, like go to meetings and get honest about where I am at.

The meetings was on AA's first step, and I was the first to share.  I spilled my guts about my relapse, and felt a whole lot better about it.

Hugs,
Trish

Trish,

You ALWAYS have me in awe! I'm so proud of you that you did the tough love thing on yourself and went to a meeting and shared the way you did. Even just going is such an important step! I'm so glad you shared and then shared with us too!!

Hugs,
Marie

Patricia R.
on 10/11/08 2:05 pm - Perry, MI

Thanks Marie,
I am just being me, after years of letting my abused, teenage girl run my apartment. 

I am really sick tonight.  Feels like a stomach flu, or virus.

Have a great day.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

jnadreau
on 10/13/08 6:34 am - Mountlake Terrace, WA
Hi Trish -

I am so sorry to hear of your relapse.  I've been there.  It's no fun.

Good for you for going back to a meeting and sharing what's going on - keep doing that!  I hope you get treatment, if that's what you're needing.  I was in outpatient treatment about a year ago and it really helped me.

I hope you feel better soon.  Keep going to meetings!  It will really save your butt and make you feel much better.

Jeanne

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views