Weight Loss Surgery and Mood Disorders

TXKashmir
on 10/10/08 3:26 am - Grand Prairie, TX
I just discovered this message board, so this is part of a cross post from another one. I'm new here so I hope this isn't a tired, old subject that's been beat to death!

I have noticed that the few times in my life when I lost weight, it did, in fact "cure" my depression. In fact, I went to the other extreme! You see, I suffer from bipolar disorder - it mostly manifests as a terrible, crushing depression, but when the weight starts coming off, I tend to get a little hypo-manic - which has led to devastating consequences. I know that I need this surgery for my health, but there is a part of me that is stressed about having extreme mania ruin my life.

For those of you familiar with bipolar disorder - has anything like this happened to you? How did you deal with it? Obviously therapy & adhering to medication is key - but were there other things that helped?

Thanks in advance

Debbie
Kitty Kat
on 10/10/08 5:01 am - Richmond, VA
Hi Debbie,

Yes, I can sympathize with you and your post here. I too live with Bipolar and what you've mentioned therapy and meds are just 2 of the prime examples of "helpers" for me. In addition, I tend to journal LOTS. I do this because it helps me pinpoint my High's and Low's and it allow my shrink to help evaluate my meds more closely. I've become more educated in my research about Bipolar and how life altering and devastating it can be if its misdiagnosed, untreated and we "ignore" our own warning signs.

I've also incorporated a strong, sturdy support system of people I can turn to no matter what. Its truly benefited me in ways I cannot even begin to explain. Another supportive measure is coming here to OH and attending support groups off the boards in person. Its incredible the commonality we share with others. Staying active and armed with knowledge is important.

I've been focusing on myself and realizing that I've got to take care of myself before I can take care of others. It truly helps to schedule time for yourself some each day.

All best!
Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Patricia R.
on 10/10/08 12:14 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Debbie,
I was only recently told I have bipolar disorder, but have been in therapy and on meds for years.  So, looking back, my experiences right after I had my surgery, during the height of my weight loss, is rather foggy.  I do remember feeling really good, except for the grieving period with the death of my brother two months after surgery.

That said, there is another factor to consider with any weight loss.  Fat stores hormones.  When we lose weight, those hormones are released into our bloodstream, the more fat the more hormones.  What you could have been experiencing may have been related to the hormones being released. 

My encouragement to you would be to discuss these concerns with your psychiatrist.  Have him/her do your psych evaluation for the surgery, if it is required (most surgeons require one), and take precautions ahead of time.

Good luck.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

ilenerich
on 10/12/08 11:58 am
 Dear TXKashmir,

I am a psychologist. The only way to help yourself with bipolar disorder is with medication. Bipolar disorder have a heritary component. I think it is not as related to your weight loss as much as you thtink. You might have these swings anyway. To put them together will be misleading I think as you may blame the weight loss for your behavior. You may be suffering from depression when you get manic after losing weight.  as  the lose of food can be thought of as a loss.
simonsmom
on 11/7/08 11:07 am - Coraopolis, PA
First, I think people on this board need to be VERY very careful about dispensing any kind of specific advice, psychologist or not.

Second, if you truly suffer from bipolar disorder, you really need to speak to your psychiatrist regarding medication with therapy. Your psych should understand your weight loss surgery issues in order to prescribe correctly. Your therapist will probably want to know specific info about how/when your symptoms manifest in order to help you find the best therapeutic intervention possible.

Regarding other things (other than meds/therapy), make sure you are getting proper consistent nutrition, take your supplements/vitamins regularly and get exercise. Those things are good for ALL of us, and are definitely helpful to anyone with MH issues.

Good luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views