Vices

Crysti S.
on 10/6/08 5:30 am

This weekend I had a mental breakdown, literally.

I had a really bad weekend and thought for the first time.  I HAVE NO VICES LEFT!!

I started to panic on how I would handle the situation, as I'd always run to food or alcohol.

Well, since we cannot binge anymore and cannot drink alcohol... what is there left?  I don't smoke or do drugs.

This is very hard for me.  I've hit a really hard time in my life (when it rain's it pours, type of thing) and don't even know if mental health is covered under HealthNet PPO or not.

I take prozac 2 weeks out of the month for my PMS but I think I need more help and don't know what to do.

Sorry to ramble like that.

Highest: 245 / Surg Day: 233 / Now: 166 / Dr's Goal: 130

Patricia R.
on 10/6/08 6:50 am - Perry, MI
If you do not know whether mental health benefits are covered by your insurance, I suggest you get out your insurance card, turn it over and call the company and ask them.  Most insurance companies do cover mental health.

I also know that congress passed the Mental Health Parity Bill last week, and it should take effect within a year.  That law states that medical insurance companies must cover mental illness at the same level that they cover physical illnesses.

Good luck.
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Crysti S.
on 10/6/08 7:05 am

Thank you, I'll check that out.   :)

Rainsunbow
on 10/7/08 12:01 am
i turned my alcohol addiction into a few vices and addictions that can be healthy, im an addict i accept it, but i just have to get addicted to the right things, i may get jumped on for this advice, its not for everyone, so take it or leave it, i now, clean house, work out, paint, sew, drink caffinated drinks, and well have lots of sex. (with myself)  ummm did i just say that out loud? it works for me

Crysti S.
on 10/7/08 5:44 am

LOL!!!

Once I get the energy levels up I'll be more "up" to those things for sure but right now, I'm so darned tired when I get home from work, I just want to crawl into bed!!  blah.

Curious G.
on 10/9/08 10:49 pm - Peachtree City, GA
hee hee you made me laugh. :-)  (I can relate)

I won't jump on you for what you advised.  They are certainly not harmful to us like drugs overeating and alcohol.

I will also say however, that for ME, I needed to find a way to just be OK with being still and in my own skin.  I tend to get a bit OCD on other distracting activities also.  I'm learning to meditate, breathe, take leisurely walks and just BE - it's progress.  The anxiety often still gets in there, but hey I'm not shoving food in my mouth or drinking until I black out anymore :)

Hugs - thanks for the smile!
Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Curious G.
on 10/9/08 10:53 pm - Peachtree City, GA
"Well, since we cannot binge anymore and cannot drink alcohol... what is there left?  I don't smoke or do drugs."

We LIVE!  That's what's left!  Anxiety is a ***** ain't it?  I struggle with it myself.  WLS was one of the biggest adjustments of my life.  I was totally unprepared for how I'd mourn food as a means of self-medication.  I switched to alcohol, and God that was MUCH worse.  I'd reach out to your doctor or Employee Assistance program to point you to some professional help.

For me, it's been bi-weekly therapy and AA that's really made a huge difference in my life.

Ramble away - many of us have felt exactly like you do right now.  There *is* a solution.

love and light,
Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/08 5:24 pm - Vacaytown, HI
Since I have no addictions now its like my body is trying to find one... shopping, pills, sex, ed, you name it i think about it... but I havent done it... but when you eliminate an addiction... its hard to cope... mine was my eating disorder.  Where to go from here is the question...
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1703 views