lamictal absorption issues after RNY?

C T.
on 10/1/08 2:37 pm - Tucson, AZ
I am choosing between RNY and VSG surgery. I worry about absorption issues with RNY, especially regarding my medicines. It took me 12 years to find something (lamictal) that would help with my severe depression and I'm scared to death it will stop working if I do the RNY procedure.

Please let me know your experience. Thanks!
Patricia R.
on 10/1/08 7:38 pm - Perry, MI
I had RNY two years ago.  My meds seem to be working fine in spite of my surgery.  Each person is different.  Have you talked to your surgeon about this concern? 

Your concern is definitely understandable.  Also, discuss it with your psychiatrist. 

Good luck.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Jakesmom0199
on 10/2/08 10:20 pm - Sandusky, OH
I just wanted to tell you that I take Lamictal, Seroquel, Abilify, Klonopin and a couple others (for Bi-polar) and am 4 months post-op.  I have not felt any difference, no real mood changes or anything, just make sure when you take your meds (especially Lamictal, YUCKY taste), you have a little something in your tummy.  I found that the first couple of months, along with the horrible taste, it sometimes me nauseous (sp).  Good Luck , and also make sure you talk to your Doctor's!
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/08 5:17 am - austin, TX
I am so grateful you made this post!  I am choosing between the two also and am concerned about absorption issues too.  I currently take 4 psych meds and know that if I'm off them the world is not a good place.  I hope more people will respond to this thread positively so I won't be so scared to go through with the surgery.  Thanks to all who did!
kdakj
on 10/10/08 11:34 am - TX
I was prescribed Lamictal and Lexapro after my rny surgery. At first, they made me nauseous, but I don't throw up, so a day or two of dry heaving was the worst of it. Usually within an hour of taking them. Now I take them at night, sleep through the nausea and since they make me so drowsy, I don't need the ambien.

~Denise~
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1703 views