Living in the Moment

Lalocaweta
on 10/1/08 12:34 pm - Spicewood, TX
I am taking a World Religion class right now - and have recently being studying the various different forms of the Buddhist religion. One thing that has stayed in my mind is the concept of Living in the Moment - meaning focusing on this moment only - not what happened in the past and not what is going to happen in the future - but just this moment.
Maybe even Buddha knows the value of "One Day at a Time."
Patricia R.
on 10/1/08 7:42 pm - Perry, MI
I teach a unit on World Religions in my 7th grade Social Studies class.  Buddha was quite wise in that concept.  It was repeated in the book of Matthew in the Bible, when Jesus taught the Sermon on the Mount.  It is definitely a challenge in our crazy world, especially with the current financial crisis taking place.  But, it is a great state of being when it is achieved.

Good luck with your studies.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lalocaweta
on 10/2/08 12:12 am - Spicewood, TX
Trish- We have not gotten to Christianity yet (This week it is Chinese religions)
I will keep an eye out for the Matthew reference.
I have just returned to church - so I may ask the pastor to help me find it.

Thanks again.

Anne
Patricia R.
on 10/2/08 7:33 am - Perry, MI
Anne,
There is a great website if you are looking for Bible verses called www.biblegateway.com.  It is a Bible search engine.

Anyway, the passage I had in mind is this:

Do Not Worry
Matthew 6
 25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[k]?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Have a great day.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Amy..aka..hottmom
ma

on 10/1/08 10:57 pm
God will supply all our needs....at his time not ours. Some things we can get over but not forget...things will always stay in the back of my mind and can come out years later and haunt my butt.
Amy

Curious G.
on 10/7/08 10:15 pm - Peachtree City, GA
I've studied Buddhism quite a bit over the past few years, along with other religions, and I honestly do think many of the core principles of AA can be related to Buddhist teachings.  Stay in the moment (be mindful), This too shall pass (impermanance), first things first, getting out of the SELF by getting into others, the practice of meditation etc.  All good stuff!

Isn't this journey amazing??

hugs,
Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1703 views