Just introducing myself

layddi
on 10/1/08 2:57 am - Pico Rivera, CA
Hi my name is Diana and I had my RNY in March of 2006. This is harder than I thought, let me start of by letting you know that I have a hang-over, and before this morning I didnt think I had a problem, but I think it's safe to say I think I do(think totaling my car 3 weeks ago should have gave me a hint.)  So if you don't mind, I'm will be taking it one day at a time and reading everyone posts.
Not to be funny, but I still think I'm in a bit of denial.
SW: 321
CW: 217.5
GW: 175

Patricia R.
on 10/1/08 4:14 am - Perry, MI
Hi Diana,
Denial is nothing to be ashamed of.  I wrestled with it for a very long time.  That is why going to AA meetings helped me so much when I first started coming around.  Hearing people talk about "me" when they told "their" stories helped me see that I had a drinking problem, and that I needed help. 

Have you been to AA?  I suggest you go to a few meetings and listen and put your hand up and share what you said here.  The people in AA meetings want to help you.  Helping newcomers is the whole reason AA meetings exist, at least that is my understanding. 

You can find a meeting by going online.  Just Google your town, AA and meetings and see what comes up. 

Welcome to the Mental Health Forum.  I had my RNY in 2006 also.  I have been in AA for 19 years, but struggle recently with sobriety and relapse after years without a drink.

Hang in there.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 10/1/08 10:09 am - So. Easton, MA
Welcome!! I had my RNY last year and have been sober for 21. I agree with Trish on the meeting thing. I didn't start out that way, and wish I had! It would've been far easier than going it almost alone. I had friends and family to support me, but it sure wasn't easy.  Sobriety can be a difficult journey, but it's worth it. Keep reading, keep posting, and keep thinking about freedom from drinking. I don't like being trapped by anything...a substance or a person. You'll be amazed at how much strength you really have inside once you start the journey.

Marie

Lalocaweta
on 10/1/08 10:42 am - Spicewood, TX
Hi Diana....
I too have spent much time in denial....And denial is unfortunately something that comes and goes for me - I will admit I have a problem, quit drinking for a period of time, and then decide that I can handle "a few"....and within a few weeks - slide back down....
But - I get up and brush my ass off and get back on the wagon. I know that if I can working at it - someday it is going to take.
I agree on the AA meetings - I will say that if you go to a meeting and find it is not for you - go to one somewhere else - I made the mistake of refusing AA when the first meeting I went to (a women's meeting) was full of rich women who did not have to work....and I just could not relate to them....I kept looking and have found 2 meetings that I feel a part of.
Good luck....
Patricia R.
on 10/1/08 11:16 am - Perry, MI
I am glad that you found some meetings where you feel you can be part of the group.  That is so important.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Amy..aka..hottmom
ma

on 10/1/08 11:12 pm
I was in denial for over a year being anorexic. I blamed it on the doctor that did my bypass. The doctors did test and did test and couldn't find anything wrong with me. I still said it was my gastric bypass. Then I got down to 88lbs. And still tried to blame it on everyone else. I was put in the hospital for 8 days getting jars of fat ran into me. I ask to see a phych doctor and he even said I was not anorexic or bulimic. Well I got up to 90lbs. so they let me come home. I started lashing out at people real bad. I eat then puke or go weeks and weeks without any food. I went to my pcp doctor and told him I was not eating and if I did I would puke. They took my blood and said I was dying again. I was put in the hospital for anorexia,bulimica,ocd,ptss,bipolar. At that point I knew I was in a world of **** And the bad thing was I did it all to myself. The doctor told me while I was there that, that is the way I punish myself for a bad childhood. I turned to food for a excape then got bypass and couldn't eat much so I started not eating. I went to one extream to another. 3 years later I am fighting to put on weight to get healthy. But I see the scales get over 105 I stop eating. I am trying to get better then I try not to. I want to gain and be healty but I freak the *** out. I am getting all the help I can get. I know the next stept of my anorexia is cardiac arrest. I am in full blown anorexia and bulimia right now. Lost some teeth,lost lots of my hair. Finger nails are falling off. When I look at myself I see a 100 year old lady looking back at me. I am 44 years old.   It felt so good to admit it to myself. Denial don't make it go away......
Amy
layddi
on 10/2/08 12:09 am - Pico Rivera, CA
Thank you all for your words of advice and I think I will look into a meeting thats near me just in case.  As for know, I will try to do it on my own and if I cant, I'll go.
Hope to get to know you all and wish everyone luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1703 views