My Dr dont know that I.....................

* twinsmommii83 *
on 9/26/08 6:42 am - Penns Grove, NJ
Revision on 05/24/13
SMOKE!!! I've been for about 7 yrs.and thing is its not cigarettes that I smoke ummmmmmmm its w33d. How do I tell him and how long do you think this would set me back from a surgery date

planning for rny revision

mommy to boy/girl twins

Lykayla & Lyddan III

anitak
on 9/26/08 11:32 am - St. Catharines, Canada
I would definitely suggest being completely honest with your surgeon!  He NEEDS to know in case of any complications from the surgery. Smoking (anything) extends the recovery time. You will also have a harder time breathing (most likely) after the surgery from smoking.  Do you "smoke" every day, or is it just an occasional thing? If it is something that you do VERY regularly, then it could cause a problem. I would still let him know, though. You are better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck,
Anita

My angels are Sharon (MDwife) and Nancy K.!!   I am so blessed!

Height- 5'6",  highest weight-274 (BMI-43.9)
Patricia R.
on 9/26/08 12:15 pm - Perry, MI
If you wish to be safe in your recovery, and be successful in adopting the lifestyle changes that go with surgery, you must be totally honest with your surgeon about your drug habits, including smoking marijuana.  Have you had your psych eval yet?  Be totally honest during that, if you have not had it yet. 

Where do you plan to have the surgery?  I live outside of Philly and work in Philly.  I had my surgery at Barix in Langhorne. 

Do you plan to quit smoking marijuana, or will you keep smoking it? 

Good luck.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Amy..aka..hottmom
ma

on 9/26/08 11:24 pm
I'M NOT SURE IF THEY DO A DRUG TEST WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR BLOOD TEST DONE BEFORE BYPASS. I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR NOBODY BUT I BET IT WOULD BE A SET BACK. THEY MORE THAN LIKELY WOULD WANT YOU DRUG FREE. I HAVE BEEN IN REHAB 2 TIMES FOR DRUGS. IT WAS WEED AND MENTAL PROBLEMS. I DIDN'T TELL. BUT IT IS YOUR CHOICE. SORRY IF ANYONE IS AFFENDED BY THIS.
AMY

PittsburghCutie
on 9/27/08 12:19 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I received a drug test(blood) and smoking test (saliva swab) a week before surgery and again the day of surgery.

Smoking will delay your recovery signifigantly. Smoking also causes ulcers. Ulcers on a brand new, recently cut up stoma is disasterous.

Your surgeon has your life in his hands(literally), I would be honest as possible with him from day one.

Good luck-
Liz(smoker of 20+ years)
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
Iteach-preK
on 9/27/08 11:54 am - KY
I do not know about in all states, but I know in some state Doctors can fire a patients for non-compliance and that would definately be non com.  Then you would have to start all over again with a new surgeon, and I don't think you want that.  So tell them the truth and you will have a burden lifted off your shoulders.
good luck
teach
natalie1975
on 9/29/08 2:30 am - Yardley, PA
i'm not a doctor but i would say it depends on how regular your habit is. personally, i smoked mj occasionally (as in a few times a year) both before and after surgery and it had not been a big deal (not my kind of poison, i guess:)
whether or not to tell your surgeon....it's a personal decision and it's your body so if you don't want to tell or delay your surgery date don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1703 views