Update

marieh
on 9/20/08 11:24 pm - So. Easton, MA
Well, I'm still sober...AND stil solvent. (for now) I wonder why I never looked at my binge spending the same way I looked at my alcohol addiction. Maybe because it's a different substance...anyhow...on to my latest news...

I interviewed for a job in Boston (strike one) with more travel than I'd really like (strike two) but the chance to do a job I'd really LIKE getting up for...(mega plusses). I didn't get the job, and the former co-worker who did felt badly for me. I had some trouble figuring THAT out. I congratulated her and told her not to feel badly at all! This obviously was not meant to be for me, and I'm actually more relieved than I thought. The only BAD thing is the former boss who forwarded my resume also talks to the bosses I still have..,mainly because she can't keep her mouth shut. She also volunteered the info to the candidate who got the job that it was ME who was her competition. I got very angry that not only did she give out my name without my permission, but now all my supervisors know I'm looking in earnest. Sigh...it is what it is...at temple yesterday the Torah reading was all about being thankful for what we HAVE.

I have a wonderful husband, daughter and son-in-law; friends who mean the world to me and vice versa; a job that pays the bills; ppl at work who think enough about me to be concerned; and this board and the people on it! :) Thanks for being there for me especially when I DON'T post!

Hugs,
Marie

Patricia R.
on 9/21/08 5:14 am - Perry, MI
Hey Marie,
Sorry to hear about the job thingy not panning out.  It sucks when people can't keep their big mouths shut.  I hope this boss person gets a clue someday, for your sake.

I appreciate your gratitude list.  I need to make one today as well.  I have to also post an update, as I have been so crazy busy, I have not had the chance to share what is going on with me much this week. 

Keep being good to yourself.  And, keep up the good work.

Huggles,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 9/21/08 8:33 am - So. Easton, MA
Thanks Trish...

I feel like I relapsed today. Had a jewelry party at my house today.  Not nearly as many ppl showed up as I expected to, got a few gifts in all this but still overspent. (not that that's a shocker, by any stretch)....

Patricia R.
on 9/21/08 10:09 am - Perry, MI
Marie,
My daughter sells Silpada, and I bought some when I was in Michigan.  I also bought some when she was home, and did a party for one of her friends from the neighborhood we lived in.  I console myself that what I bought were birthday and Christmas presents.  But, I was just sitting here trying to decide what I was going to do for Christmas presents for my kids this year.  I have to really watch what I spend this year, as I am filing bankruptcy.

Try not to beat yourself up and examine the negative self-talk you are giving yourself.  It is so hard to break some of these addictive behaviors, not that I am rationalizing, just trying to deal in reality.

Love you,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 9/21/08 10:15 am - So. Easton, MA
Thanks Trish...I just don't understand something and maybe you or another poster can shed some light on it... I KNOW the spending thing is just another addiction. I could stop drinking...why cant' I stop overspending? It's really no different, right? I know a few of the pieces are gifts, but I dropped a lot today...the only saving grace is it's from my chekcing and NOT on a credit card. So at least I was able to make a better choice there.  But you're right about the self-depreciating talk. I need to get a handle on that.

Love,
Marie

Patricia R.
on 9/21/08 10:37 am - Perry, MI
I had trouble with the spending till I ran out of money.  It is so hard not to go nuts on payday, before I pay my bills.  My lawyer can't figure out how I run out of money each month. 

The reason it is easier to give up the alcohol is that we do not need the alcohol in our daily lives, so we can just rid ourselves of it once and for all.  Shopping?  Eating?  They are necessities of life, unless you have a farm and make your own clothes and gifts.  Moderation is always harder to maintain in an addiction. 

Have you been to Debtors Anonymous ever?  I went to one meeting and know I definitely need it, but want a year of sobriety before I branch out to other fellowships. 

I do not have any credit cards, and once my paycheck is spent, I am out of luck with the shopping until my next paycheck.  Of course, I still order Avon now and then.  In fact, my Avon lady called today to tell me she will have my order complete next weekend.  Argh.

Hang in there.  One day at a time.

Huggles,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views