withdrawal

piper
on 9/17/08 4:08 am
I don't have a Dr. right now and I am withdrawing from alcohol. any suggestions on what I can take for withdrawal symtoms such as shaking and nausea?
Patricia R.
on 9/17/08 6:26 am - Perry, MI
I suggest you get to a rehab or hospital and get professional medical help.  Withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous and it is usually best done with medical supervision.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

piper
on 9/17/08 6:56 am
None of those suggestions are options for me right now. Just thought someone would have some tips to feel better.
Patricia R.
on 9/17/08 8:45 am - Perry, MI
Emergency rooms cannot turn you away due to lack of insurance.  If your life is on the line, it is best if you seek medical help. 

I don't know how much you drank, so I can't be of much more help.
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

piper
on 9/17/08 9:28 am
I drink a large bottle of wine at a sitting about 5 days a week. I am scared right now. I feel very shaky. But I have stopped before without having seizures. I have insurance but other cir****tances prevent me from going to the hospital. I do have a script for Ativan if that would help. I know that they give you that in detox.
Rainsunbow
on 9/17/08 8:38 am
I wish i knew something that could help.  But, like Pat said, it can be really dangerous, its the only drug in the world that you can die from withdrawal.  I learned that in rehab.  Depending on how bad you were drinking, you could die, so if it's bad, you need to go to a hospital even if it isn't an option.  I watched someone first hand have a seizure because they lied about how much they have been drinking and ended up in out patient because they thought the withdrawal wouldn't be a problem, but should have been in in patient, to get proper meds to detox,  they had gastric bypass too, I would never recommend drinking, but if its going to save your life then take a little, don't die, its more serious than you know!

Leigh
piper
on 9/17/08 9:30 am
I did think of just drinking one glass and have my friend take away the rest. The problem is I don't stop once I start so I fear that too. I don't drink any hard liquor, wine only but usually a large bottle.
Lalocaweta
on 9/17/08 10:45 am - Spicewood, TX
Piper:
First my heart and prayers go out to you - unfortunately, I too have withdrawn from alcohol - more times than I want to admit - only to go back. It is the worst addiction - I believe there is.
That said - withdrawn 3 times in detox, once in ICU, and several times at home. In detox and ICU - they did use the Ativan and that helped a lot. When I do it at home - I simply stayed in bed and drank a lot of water (and some diet 7 Up) and I did NOT eat anything.
That said - you can go to the emergency room and they can not refuse you service. But all they will do is give you the ativan and monitor your vitals.
Good luck.

Anne

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views