Alcohol

Lalocaweta
on 9/17/08 2:20 am - Spicewood, TX
When I met w/ my therapist earlier this week - one of the things I commented to her on was that overcoming an addiction to alcohol can be, in my opinion, harder then getting clean/sober from any other substance.
If you are a speed freak/coke head, etc. you can't walk into a store and buy your drug of choice. But, an alcoholic is faced with that issue every time s/he chooses to enter a store, restaurant, etc. Can't take it day by day - have to take it minute by minute!!!

Anne
Patricia R.
on 9/17/08 6:24 am - Perry, MI
Anne,
It does get easier to deal with the sight of alcohol with time.  I am also blessed with the fact that in Pennsylvania, alcohol is not sold in every store.  It is sold in state owned stores and package stores attached to bars.  So, I can go grocery shopping and not have to see it here.  But, I have traveled around the country and have dealt with it being "in my face" and been fine with it. 

Do you go to AA?  Without the spiritual changes that the 12 steps have brought about for me, I would not be able to deal with it at all. 

Hang in there. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

DarDar
on 9/19/08 5:32 am - exton, PA

I keep my cell phone handy.  I still go to 5 or more meetings a week, and I call someone when I get ichy for a drink. Yes, it is put in front of us a lot....however, I feel that food is put in front of me more often. Everywhere I go there is food....even at AA meetings.  Sometimes I have to bring it. There is an anniversity meeting this weekend and I have to bring BBQ pork. So I will have to stay clear of the dessert table too. For me I fond the food is more avail to me than booze.

Keep doing the next right thing....can't go wrong in that.

DarDar

339/197/124 (yeah...right)
charles R.
on 9/21/08 4:19 am - JACKSONVILLE, NC
Has anyone had/have problems that can happen after,, like bingeing and blacking out?

ABC, did a special on it and many posters on thier page discribed problems with it. I for one am dealing with it.
Patricia R.
on 9/21/08 5:25 am - Perry, MI
Charles, are you speaking specifically of binge drinking after WLS?  I did.  I was sober for years prior to my surgery, but relapsed last winter and it was a really bad relapse for me.

If you find you cannot stop drinking, I suggest you get to an AA meeting and get help.  That's how I stopped.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views