Cant stop drinking

NewLife100
on 9/14/08 7:20 am - Canada
HI

I was able to stop drinking before my surgery and the first two weeks post -op, now I drink wine daily.

I need help so please tell me veryone why it is so wrong and not good for me - other than obvious reasons of course

Roberta
Patricia R.
on 9/14/08 10:29 am - Perry, MI
Roberta,
You are less than one month out from your RNY.  My doctors rule is to wait for six months for patients who drink.  You are damaging your pouch, which is healing right now.  The biggest risk is ulcers, especially where the staples are. 

But, if you cannot stop drinking, you need to get yourself to an AA meeting and put your hand up and ask for help.  That is what they are there for.  That is how I stopped, and how others stop. 

Please, PM me if you need to talk.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Da Shrinking Dawg
Ramon

on 9/14/08 9:49 pm - Houston, TX
As stated before right now it is strictly for your health but to be honest nothing that is said on this board will MAKE you quit until you decide you are ready to quit.. The minute you hit rock bottow hopefully you will make the choice to stop.. You will be in my thoughts..
Ramon Lopez 
Co-Founder
 http://www.rydobesity.com 
Interview on www.weightlosssurgerychannel.com Please check it out.. http://www.weightlosssurgerychannel.com/programs/wls-journeys/wls-journeys-guest-ramon-lopez.html/
Video, about me, made by my best friend Yvonne.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCxNTyRUo0
PEACE 
464/409/200
Thanks Obesityhelp.com
Telbereth
on 9/15/08 4:34 am - SW , MO

The main medical concern is your Liver!

During weightloss, and especially during the rapid weight loss phase, you are pushing your liver's functioning powers to the limit. When your liver filters alcohol it is pushing its abilities as well. Add these 2 together and its like pushing a car engine past the safe level of RPMs, you can do it but don't be surprised when it seizes up and dies. [Ever waited too long between shifting gears in a car, that whining you heard is what your liver is doing just trying to handle the weight loss alone.] Your liver is able to regenerate its cells up to a point. Once you go past that point and scarring sets in those areas will never regenerate, liver functioning then decreases and more areas die as they have to carry more of the load and the vicious cycle continues until...

[And by the way, people who have abused alcohol or drugs generally will not be placed on a liver transplant list.]

Look up Cirrosis on WebMd and they'll do a better job of explaining what happens. End of the story is that it IS terminal and fatal.
Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

Rainsunbow
on 9/15/08 12:20 pm
Hey,

If you can't stop drinking on your own, then get some help.  I thought i could do it on my own, and it didn't work.  I always thought it was my decision to quit, what were counselors, AA, and rehab going to tell me? Quit? well i could do that on my own right?  NOoooooooooo if I have learned anything as an alcoholic, you can't control it, you have to get help.  Even my pre-opp phsyc eval told me that if i was in trouble i wouldn't seek help, i always depended on myself to solve my problems, self sufficient.  It took my husband to leave me to see the light, that with out help it wasn't going to happen.  So i finally got help and I am sober 50 days, and staying smart, not strong, but smart.  I learned how to be smart.  So don't let your life get turned upside down, go get smart!  Go to AA, im agnostic, so if you have an open mind you can weed through what need and what you dont.  Its a good program, and I honestly can't believe i am saying this, but it is.  This is just my story and I am passionate about not letting it happen to others.

Leigh
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views