How does one go about getting a medical leave of absence from work?

Mary H.
on 9/12/08 12:54 am - Chicagoland, IL
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this question.  I already had clinical depression before my wls (lap band done laproscopically) but between the depression, my hormones going wacko, and my age (pre menopausal) I really am at the breaking point and feel that I need some time off before I crack up. 

I come home from work exhausted every day, am not getting exercise like I need to, am constantly stressed, and can't concentrate at work. 

I have no more vacation/sick days left (partially due to the surgery) and don't know what to do.  I do see where people are unable to work because of severe depression.  How does one go about getting the paperwork in order?

Any help at all on this would be appreciated.  I'm getting desperate.

Thanks.

" There are no problems, only solutions"
~John Lennon

Pre-surgery weight 218~ 12-02-08 weight 168
28 pounds to goal!

Patricia R.
on 9/12/08 7:03 am - Perry, MI
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

The Department of Labor website has a link for the Family Medical Leave Act, and you can download a link for the paperwork.  Take it to your psychiatrist or therapist and have them fill it out, requesting leave.  According to the law, you are eligible for up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave.

Good luck.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views