Revision for the recovering addict

Msdragonz
on 9/1/08 8:20 am - NEPA, PA
I just realized that there was a forum for addicts after I posted this in the revisions forum:

I'm going out on a limb here and breaking my anonymity because I really need to know that other addicts came out of their surgery and got off pain meds without risking relapse.
I know that in "more will be revealed" in the NA basic text it has a couple of suggestions for the addict who has surgery. 1 Is to stop meds while still in pain or while still in the hospital-I just doubt that that will be a possibility since I remember my original open rny-SUPER PAIN!
I am hoping that the revision will not be open, but considering that I have a GIANT scar that required 57 staples I am being relistic. Adhesions probably abound in there.
So here's the big question-(I know I am not the only recovering addict here!) Aside from having someone "dole out" your meds (which I will do), can you share a little experience, strength and hope? I will be celebrating 1 year on sept 20th, 2008 and I do not wnt to blow this, but I am certain about needing the revision.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Robin

P.S. it was such a relief to find this forum!!
Patricia R.
on 9/1/08 2:20 pm - Perry, MI
I am an addict/alcoholic who abused everything at one point in my life.  I was concerned about relapsing with my addiction to alcohol when I had my surgery, and had to be on the pain meds.  I made sure I made a ton of meetings before and after my surgery.  I also made sure I was in constant prayer before the surgery.  I rigorously worked the steps, espeicially Steps 2,3 and 11. 

I live alone, so having someone dole out my meds was out of the question.  I simply made sure I did not abuse the med, and followed the written instructions on the label perfectly.  I also made myself wait an extra hour between doses after the first two days at home.  I would take a Tylenol before starting the Vicodin as prescribed. 

Be sure to talk to your sponsor regularly.  Be totally honest about urges to abuse the meds.  Work the steps rigorously, especially the 2,3, and 11th steps.  Pray, pray, pray.  Do relaxation exercises, and beep breathing daily. 

I hope this helps.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Msdragonz
on 9/2/08 12:18 am - NEPA, PA
Hi Trish,
Thank you so much for your help-It feels good to have connect with another woman in recovery. I guess I just needed to hear that someone in recovery made it to the other side safely. I am so excited but trying to maintain because I do remember the pain still even though it was in 1999.
Have a great day and I hope to talk to you again soon:)
In Love and Light,
Robin
swest46
on 9/2/08 1:23 pm
Hi!  glad I'm not the only na/aa here.  I am 9 years out from my original surgery.  Open rny.  My alcohol abuse started after my surgery, at about year 4.  I drank hard and daily to black out for 3 years.  Was able to get away from that (not with AA - didn't think I needed it...lol)  I have fought adhesions since about 6 months after surgery.  2 years ago the pain started coming daily.  Couldn't eat, the pain became horrific.  shortened version:  I was strung out on vicodin, then fentenyl, then oxycontin, before I actually had surgery to remove adhesions.  It was another 6 months before I quit.  I did that with a 10 day medical detox and then INTENSive AA NA meetings.  before my surgery last year I had deteriorated to about 85 lbs.  I was dying., but I was addicted and didn't give a ****  It sounds like you are doing everythign you can to prepare.  Now just assume that the grace of God will abound and get you through the time when you need the narcotic help.  Remember, it has a REAL use.  getting high isn't it.  Allow it do what it needs to do and keep asking for help to keep you in check.  We aren't islands.

You have my best wishes and my prayers, It's good to take it seriously, but I think you've got your head in the right place.

Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views