anesthesia question

secamp05
on 8/27/08 1:05 pm - louisville, KY
Hi all, my name is Sarah.  I went to my therapist to get her to sign a release form for me and she was concerned about anesthesia.  I am bipolar and have borderline personality disorder, panic disorder and a type of dissociative disorder. My biggest problem is my constant state of dissociation/depersonalization (where you feel like you aren't real, lost in a day dream-that kinda thing)  What she is afraid of is that I will wake up and be completly dissociative and paniced- all due to the anesthesia.  Also, that my meds will effect the anesthesia.  I take zoloft, wellbutrin, lamictal, risperdal, neaurontin, and ativan.  Has anyone expreienced this after waking up?  My therapist said something like this could be permanent (she read some case study that mentioned something like this happeneing to a woman)  Also, i just got out of the hospital a little over a month ago.  do you think they (meaning the psych evaluation person) will not approve me bc of this?  This is so frustrating, i just want to lead a better life-physically and mentally.  Thanks all!  btw my therapist is not a psychatrist- my pdoc is out of the country at the moment
Patricia R.
on 8/27/08 1:32 pm - Perry, MI
Hi there. 
I had borderline personality disorder (I no longer have it now), and I also have bipolar disorder and alcoholism, on my list of diagnoses.  I have never been diagnosed with any dissociative disorder, so I am not able to answer directly about that aspect of the question. 

I am a part time therapist, and I also see a wonderful psychologist.  My therapist and my psychiatrist were both supportive of my surgery, and my psychiatrist wrote my psych evaluation for me. 

Before worrying about this, I would have a serious discussion with the psychiatrist who has been treating you and prescribing your medication.  My therapist will never comment on my medications and I am surprised that yours did mention them in her concerns. 

When I come out of anasthesia, I am disoriented for a while, but I do not dissociate. 

I would be interested in what the psychiatrist says about all of this. 

What type of degree does your therapist hold?  Is she licensed to practice therapy?  Just being nosey, something I am good at.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views