Outpatient alcohol treatment advice?

slimMNmom
on 8/23/08 7:00 am - MN
For anyone who's been down this path-how does it work?  Where do you start?  What is involved? (If possible, step by step info if you have it)  Detox won't be an issue and missing work is not an option.  I don't drink all the time, but I am a binger.  I have seen two pyschologists post-op (this has only been happening since the RNY-but I was a binge eater before that...go figure!)  but they were not helpful in that aspect.  They didn't get the dynamic of the surgery I don't think.  So that brings me to my next question-would an eating disorder program be a better place to start?  Since the drinking didn't come in to play until after?  Just looking for your experiences, not medical advice of course.

Thanks-Lorraine
SlimMNmom
Patricia R.
on 8/23/08 7:59 am - Perry, MI
There are many options and avenues you can pursue.  I did an eating disorder treatment program prior to my surgery.  I have been in Alcoholics Anonymous since 1989, and had years of sobriety prior to my surgery, and a year afterward, but relapsed in December. 

I was a binge drinker, who, during my relapse, became a daily bottle of wine drinker.   AA is the best suggestion I can make for you to start your journey.  The only requirement for membershi in AA is the desire to stop drinking.  PERIOD.  This is where I began my recovery jouney, along with psychotherapy. 

My other suggestion would be to find a therapist who works with eating disorders/addictions, even if he/she does other areas of therapy.  A good therapist can help you work through the issues that are contributing to the addictive mind.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Curious G.
on 8/24/08 9:44 pm - Peachtree City, GA
I second Trish's opinions.

I found my therapist via a member of my AA home group.  He's worked with many people in recovery and several who have had WLS as well.  He's very educated about the dynamics of addiction to both alcohol and food, and is also educated about the physiology and psychology regarding weight loss surgery.  He's been a Godsend.

AA also has been a Godsend.  I definitely think it's a good place to start.

As for your employer, many employers have EAP (employee assistance programs) benefits.  If you are being treated via your EAP for addiction recovery, there are some legal issues in place that force your employer to be a bit more cooperative.

For me the food/eating disorders and the alcoholism are a chicken and the egg kind of thing.  It's the underlying "ism" that contributes to both.  Working the steps and seeking theraphy has been very helpful for me in trying to learn to function "normally".  Both behaviors/disorders have the same root cause.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey and I hope to see more posts here from you as well!

Love and light,
Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views