anyone recommend depression meds

tulagirl
on 8/22/08 12:27 pm - Schenectady, NY
I finally brought myself to make an appointment with my dr. to discuss my depression.  I believe I have suffered for years, some times just being better than others.  I have started to slip at my job and it is completely interfereing with my life.  My family notices and I don't like feeling like this.  There are many things I attribute it to, but I just haven't felt the same since my daughter was born.  She is almost 21/2 so I don't know if it would technically be post partum, but I hate how I feel.  I am certainly not feeling like hurting myself, but there are days I don't really care what happens. 

Any suggestions to ask my dr. for.  Any one drug work better for you than others. 

thanks, in advance.
Patricia R.
on 8/22/08 1:17 pm - Perry, MI
Hi And Welcome,
I think it is great that you are seeking help for your depression.  I highly recommend therapy and a psychiatric consultation for depression, as that is what I sought and have gotten immense help as a result. 

As for meds that work, what works for me, may or may not work for you.  I had been on one med, and had to switch a couple of years ago, and am now on a new med, for me.  I take a combination of medications, Lexapro, Buspar and Risperdal, along with Topamax.  I have a variety of diagnoses, and find this combination helps the most. 

I highly recommend therapy along with taking meds, as it is really effective in helping people learn coping skills and to work through issues that may come up that contribute to depression.

Good luck,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

tulagirl
on 8/22/08 1:26 pm - Schenectady, NY
Thank you for the response.  I figured I would at least start with my pcp and take it from there.  I may actually by getting a new job as I feel the stress and type of job i have is contributing greatly to my poor state of mind right now. 

I appreciate the support.
NeedHelp
on 8/23/08 4:25 am - Rockford, IL
After I had my twins and they were about 2 or 3 I started struggling with depression.  Since I had a total of 4 children under age 5 and no help, I was worn out.  I think the lack of sleep, trying to work, trying to be a mother and father, (my husband was working on his all consuming doctorate) I just ran out of everything.  I got an appointment with my physician and tried antidepressants.  That was an excellent decision.  It will help if you are depressed.  The doctor and I made many adjustments and tried many meds over the last 10 years, but I am a healthier and happier person getting the medicine I need.  Remember, it is a chemical imbalance, there is nothing to be embarrassed about.  it is no different than discussing diabetes etc.   I have tried most of the SSR's out there.  You and your doctor can decide where to start for you.  I hope you get help. God Bless. Kim
weezieweeks
on 8/23/08 2:15 pm - North Las Vegas, NV
what is an SSR?

High/Low/Regain/Today/Goal
      330/199/221/207/175

Curious G.
on 8/24/08 9:28 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor

Those meds act on the seratonin receptors in our brains - leaving more of this chemical floating around in our brain than normal - which is a good thing if one has a shortage of seratonin.

Give it a google and there's tons of info!

hth,
Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Michelle B.
on 9/9/08 9:08 am - Pennsauken, NJ
I've finally admitted out loud that I think I"m depressed.  My friend said I'm clinically depressed, not sure what that means.  I actually have a phone call out to my pcp to discuss the entire situation.  How do they determine if there's a chemical imbalance?  What does the medicine actually do for you - jokingly, I always say I would like to take a happy pill... but I wonder, what do the drugs do to make you not depressed? Isn't the depression in my mind?

I haven't been sleeping well for weeks.  This has been since surgery, my depression.  I think I thought life was going to get so much better. and granted, it has, my health, me, I'm a different person.  But I'm still without a man in my life.  I still have many lonely nights and days at home; I have so much energy and the desire to not sit in my house alone anymore, as I've done for the past 20+ years.

Sorry to go on and on... but I'm new to this, and was grateful to find that OH had a board on the subject.  Is it common for gastric bypass patients to go through depression AFTER surgery?

tulagirl
on 8/25/08 10:36 am - Schenectady, NY
Thank you to all of you *****plied.  I go to the Dr. tomorrow to talk to him.  It is a new doctor in my practice as mine left, so I am a bit nervous, but it needs to be done.  I also feel like I have taken care of half of the battle, I got a new job today.  It is much less stress and I feel like I am making the right choice for me and my family.  It will allow me to spend the time with my family that I desire.  that will help. 

Thanks again.
tulagirl
on 8/26/08 1:52 am - Schenectady, NY
I already feel better and I haven't started taking the meds yet.  My Dr. put me on Lexapro.  He said it sounds like I have always been dealing with this and is hopefull it wil help. He was so nice and understanding.  I wish I would have done this years ago. 
Jakesmom0199
on 8/26/08 11:15 pm - Sandusky, OH
Four years ago I was diagnosed as having "Bipolar Disorder", I regularly see a psychiatrist, and a counselor.  I did go to my PCP for a long time for "depression" meds, but after some thought she decided to reffer me to someone better "equipped" with dealing with my situation and that is when I was diagnosed.
BY all means I am NOT syaing you have "BPD", just make sure that after you have given your new medications a try, and for some reason you STILL aren't feeling quite right bring it up to your PCP, you may need to be referred to a psychiatrist or a counselor.  Your Mental health should come first don't forget that!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views